Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

I am at my whits end with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM

I have the Alldata instructions if you would like. I will post them in a second.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Here they are. It is on my mediafire cause I could not upload to the forum.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmjtzd2mny4

Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM

You stated that it "drags" as your turning thru loose gravel or whatnot?
Have you had a wheel alignment after any of the steering components being swapped?
If it hasnt, then you need one badly if you have changed any tierod end, inner/ outter/ driver or pass. side.

Last edited by 2000MonteCarloRwd; 01-01-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the hubs (bearings) and CV's are good, there are 2 things that have NOT been addressed here, well 3: #1 brake rotors. they are PROBABLY warped due to tech's using air guns to mount them, cheap Chinese rotors, etc, etc, etc. Brake rotor warping is VERY common and hard to control. #2, A bad tire, balanced or not. You said you replaced the tires. But did you put new tires on? Wal-Mart tires? Or did you go to a reputable tire dealer and get quality tires? #3, A curb has been hit HARD, and the wheel fkange is bent, wheel bent, or both.

2 things to do NOW, have someone drive it along side you on a 4 lane road. Look at your tires. Switch lanes and look at the other side. Are the tires rotating smoothly? Are they bouncing? What's going on? Is the steering wheel still shaking, but the tires run smooth? If that's the case, you have a warped rotor. If the tires bounce, you have a bad tire, wheel, or hub. If that's the case, jack the car up and spin the wheel by hand. Is it smooth? Can you jerk it side to side, up and down? If so, you have a bad hub, or bad suspension parts, like a bad ball joint (which is easy to mis-diagnose, because they are spring loaded).

Hope some of this helps, before you spend anymore money on idiot tech's.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 PM

The crunching noise you hear when shifting may just be the clutches engaging, why did you replace the tires 3 times, how long between tire changes? If you wore them out that quick (except for burnouts) it sound like the alignment is way out of spec, worn out suspension parts (ball joints & tie rod ends), Keep it simple and check all the front end pieces one at a time, replace whats worn, get it aligned. the rotors warp real easy on our cars, check em for runout with a dial indicator mounted on the knuckle and use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs, max lateral runout is .002"and max thickness variation is .001", if your going to replace em get some crossdrilled ones (try to stay away from slotted they cause quick pad wear in my opinion) lug nut torque is 100 ft/lb., put the front end on stands start it up and put it in gear, watch the tires for a shifted belt, very common after hitting some potholes. Do you get a humming noise from one side that changes in volume when you turn? that would indicate a bad wheel bearing that could also cause the shake, also check the wheels for excessive runout, like a bent rim

Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Well it turned out to be my driver side cv axle. When the mechanic went to pull the axle out it came apart leaving the inner joint (as suspected) inside the trans . We finally got it out and now my smooth ride is back. On my way from the shop my cd player went out though lol always something. Thanks though guys

Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 PM

I have a 2003 Monte ss that is doing the same thing. i have had it for about 5 years and not had anything to major go wrong but this past week the car is doing the same thing that you mentioned. It is Shaking alot to the point were its almost un controlable. we replacer the brake rotors and pads, and checked the hubs, all are fine and nothing looks to be broken, the car just rolled over 200K miles, and still runs strong minus this issue, seeing that i have the same issue I am going to try the CV joints and see if that fixes the issue, thank you

Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM

I did notice that for the past few months that when i shift from park into drive or Reverse it makes like a snapping sound, did this accur on yours as well?

Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM

I dont blam ya..ide be pretty pissed off if i had to replace all that stuff in under 1 yr..My 87 LS all i replaced was hoses/belts..But i got lucky..Im notta fan of Front Wheel Drive but ya have a nice looking car..

Old 11-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by d.therieau
I did notice that for the past few months that when i shift from park into drive or Reverse it makes like a snapping sound, did this accur on yours as well?
Cars with bad cv joints will make all kinds of noises. Usually means that the joints are pretty much on its last legs. Check them out: the rubber boots are probably shot and they make a whole lot of noise when turning.