Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

I am at my whits end with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Default I am at my whits end with this car

I have a 2002 SS. I've only owned it for about 8 or 9 months and had to replace power steering pressure hose, starter, water pump, serpentine belt, passenger wheel hub, and now I have a MAJOR shake at speeds 20mph and up. It is really disturbing almost as if the wheels are going to fall off. It only does it under acceleration and in relation to the rotation of the tires which leads to believe its something suspension related. I changed the front tires and got another passenger drive shaft installed because it felt like thats where it was coming from but truthfully the shake is so bad that I cant tell what side it is originating from. As I creep to a stop the wheel stumbles in relation to the rotation of the suspension. If I am turning into a parking spot and there is any dirt or debris or something in the path as my wheels are turned the wheel will stumble like it wants to come off. I've taken her to shops all around me and all I get are suggestions that I KNOW are not the problem like trans, my trans shifts fine . Please help me I want my smooth ride

Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 AM

nobody?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Have you checked the car's CV joints for play? Broken or cracked CV boots, as well as the shaking while driving, is a good indication that your car could be having problems with them. If the car is way of alignment it could have similar problems. Over inflated/deformed tires, a bad driver side wheel hub, faulty lower control arm (as in bent) or worn balljoints could also affected. One more thing, check your front rotor as well! If they are warped the car will get the shakes as well. Check it all first before you go replacing parts left and right. It's a lot cheaper in the end. Good luck with it!

Last edited by Wilco; 12-18-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: more specific.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM

The boots seem fine, although when shifting from park into drive and vice versa there is a crunching noise not clicking, like it may be the inner joint. The car is out of alignment but I dont think enough to shake the car violently like im experiencing. I replaced the tires 3 times arleady and the hub is not making any noise(could it cause shaking?) How could the rack and pinion shake the car upon acceleration?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 AM

I am willing to bet that it is your CV joints causing your trouble. I had the same problems as you and went the same route you have in trying to fix. My CV joints were both bad so I swapped them out and have been riding smooth ever since. All I need now is an alignment.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Check the CV joints for play and inspect the boots for damage. Dirt isn't friendly to CV joints and, in time, they will need replacement is the boots are damage and allow dirt in. Once you check them and, if they need replacement, have the car aligned.

BTW, I meant the lower control arms being bent or the ball joint it self.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM

I replaced the passenger axle because I looked and seen a trail of grease in the path of which the axle rotates (the firewall, underside of the hood, and it looks as though the belt threw some on the backside of the caps where the wires go). Yet, I still have the wobble so now I am going to do the driver axle as it feels like thats where the out of round is coming from. I just wanted to know if there is any hidden problem that I may need to look out for that someone has already experienced like a motor mount or something (it feels like the motor is going to fall out when I press the gas lol I have to creep even the slightest gas triggers the washing machine syndrome).

Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Check all your fluids. Also, is your check engine light on? Im thinking a dead cylinder could be your problem. But thats just a guess based on the little information given.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM

sounds like the joint in ya boot is bad. wish i was there i could find out of ya in a few sec lol

Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 PM

gib-I dont think a cylinder is bad if I get on the gas she still moves and will scream from any stop

Sic-you are welcome to come take a look please anyone is welcome

Quick Reply: I am at my whits end with this car