Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Default Humming sound

Hey everyone!
I have a 99 monte carlo ls with only 47,000 miles on it. Here's the problem, when i'm going down the highway the car makes a loudhumming sound coming from the frontend. I thought it might be from the tires cause they're higher mileage tires(goodyear viva) probably harder rubber. I'm begining to think otherwise because i noticed if i pull or turn to the right going down the highway it goes away but if pull to the left it comes back. Is this just an alignment issue or do i have a bad bearing on the left front axel or something else?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Default RE: Humming sound

Hi Daniel, and Welcome to the MCF
It is difficult to answer your question about a Humming
sound without being able to hear the sound.
I could try and be funny, and just say that your Monte Carlo is
just happy and humming down the highway, but
we would appreciate more information on your problem.
At what speeds doyou hear the noise ?
How many miles on tires ?
Have you had any front end work or has your vehicle
ever been involved in a front end crash ?
Most alignment shops will do a free inspections,
and it pays to spend the time to be safe.
I would suggest getting your Monte inspected.
It has low miles for a 99, are you the original owner ?
Look forward to your future posts.
Good Luck
from
`Space

Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM

HAHAHAHa! Yeah i figured i'd get some crap for that humming sound. Actually my wife's grandpa bought it for her with 33,000 miles on it 2 years ago when we were dating. I know, it sounds too good to be true. I never have ran a carfax on it out of curiosity but i really think its was just a low mileage car after working on it. In fact I pulled the lower intake and had the whole thing torn down so i could replace the lower intake manifold gaskets that GM should have fixed! Engine looked like it was new. Anyways, I haven't taken the time to really get down and look at the front end. I thought maybe what I am hearing is something that was common and i could just figure to fix it kind of like those stupid lower intake manifold gaskets...LOL! Details, well u really can't hear it past 60 mph but it starts getting louder as i slow down from that point vice versa. the tires have 20,000 miles on them and they are rated for 60,000. I had a bad vibration coming from them two months ago but a balance and rotation took care of that issue. Tire wear seemed normal for a front wheel drive. It doesn't wonder going down the highway. I know its not the e-fan. It is possible it could be those damned good year tires for all i know. Thanks for ur replys, and i'll try and get a better grasp of things on it sometime this week.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM

if the sounds is coming when you're pulling the car to the left, I'd put money on it being a right side wheel bearing.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: paddock

if the sounds is coming when you're pulling the car to the left, I'd put money on it being a right side wheel bearing.
Yup what he said....

Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 PM

yup left turn loads the right side and makes the bearing louder

Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x4 on wheel bearing. my father's gtp made that same humming noise.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:06 PM

i just fixed mine myself (the shop wanted $445 to do it so i picked up a book and learned) and i was done in about 2 hours but yea that is def. your wheel bearing just had the same problem on mine a month ago..... tip: turn your wheel to the right and note weather the clip you see behind your brakes are plastic or metal it will let the people who sell you parts know witch one to get you the part it self should not be more than about 89 bucks if you are up to fixing your own cars thats the best route ok well good luck!!!!!!!!!!!