Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Gabriel "Ultra" Shocks - good / bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Default Gabriel "Ultra" Shocks - good / bad ?

Anyone have any experience with Gabriel shocks? Good or Bad? I'm thinking of buying a set of "Ultras". Wow, with a name like "Ultra" they must be good! Here's my reasons ..... number one - Gabriel is offering a 20% rebate on these shocks, and two - the only parts store with the free rental tool I need to R&R the front shocks is AutoZone, and they only sell Gabriel. So yes, my purchasing decision is pretty much revolving around my being cheap. (to buy this tool is about $40-$50). I'm also too cheap to buy the KYB's, so no sense in suggesting them. Besides, I once put KYB's on a Crown Vic and I could not feel anything different over the OEM shocks. I'm not doing any autocrossing, I'm just driving to work in stop and go traffic at 45 MPH. The shocks on the car now have 197,500 miles on them. I believe I'm overdue. Thanks, Jim

Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 PM

all i read was gabrial.

i wouldnt buy them.

monroe and kyb both make great stuts.

millions of gabrila stuts are being recalled right now. i know threre probly cheap but you can get a set of 4 struts for like 250 bucks, thats not that expensive. plus all the bs extra parts that add up, but you have to buy that stuuf anyways.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 AM

I see that Monroe warrantees their shock/struts for life. Even against wearing out. I can't find any warranty info on Gabriel's web site.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JaxJim
I see that Monroe warrantees their shock/struts for life. Even against wearing out. I can't find any warranty info on Gabriel's web site.
if you want to take a chance with buying the gabs, go for it. the monroes shouldnt be that much more expensive.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:01 PM

put it this way i use to work at a auto shop and the shop sold all three gabrial monro and kyb gabrial is more of a suv small truck shock. than the kyb and the monroes even though kvb has dabeled in small truck but they have a bigger market for car sam as monroe as well. gabrial has mor uneasy ride in away as in feeling soft as like you didnt put new ones on. but in the end it is your choice for shock/strut set up.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM

I ended up going with the Monroe Sensa-Tracs. Seems that if anyone did have an opinion on the Monroe vs Gabriel, the favorite was Monroe. Monroe offers an unlimited warranty on defects and even wear-out, so they do back their product really well. They're made by Tenneco, who I'm told makes all the NAPA shocks as well as suppling some OEM shocks. They're also made in the good old USA, while the Gabriels are from Mexico. I hope to have the fronts complete tommorrow and I'll work on the back next weekend.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Oh, yea, and the best part, Monroe is offering a $50 rebate on a set of four Sensa-Tracs. AdvanceAuto was taking $20 off internet orders. So, two internet orders, and one rebate later, I'll be getting $90 off the price. Total cost to me .... $140 for all four corners.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Well, I installed the front shocks - Monro Sensa-Trac's. The ride is much firmer now - especially on the highway. The car used to feel real "floaty". Now the ride is much more controlled. I've decided not to replace the original rear shocks. Even after 197,500 miles they are still firm - no bounce at all. I only had to shell out $52.00 for both front shocks after all the rebates. I'm a happy camper.