Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Front wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Front wheel bearing replacement

i am going on spring break to myrtle beach in marchand right now the front right wheel bearing on my car is making some funny noise (or was before i put it in storage) so my question is do you guys think that i would be able to change out the wheel bearing and get it alligned with in 3 days when i go home for spring break.

or should i just take it into a place and have them fix it for me. if i do this i know it will be more pricy but it may also get done quicker. Also how much do you think that a replacement of the wheel bearing should cost if i supplly the wheel bearing? will they let me supply the wheel bearing?

So what do you think i should do?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Default RE: Front wheel bearing replacement

it shouldn't be too tough to fix. i've never done a monte, but i have done a couple on my previous car a 99 grand am gt. all you have to do is remove the caliper and rotor, then remove the big front bolt that's on the transaxle shaft(mine was 36mm or something like that). then there is usually 3 bolts that fasten the hub assembly on the spindle, everything should come off after that. then just reverse the disassembly process. took me about 1.5 hrs.

i have never had to get it aligned again so don't think you'll have to take it to a shop.if you are mechanically inclined,do it yourself and save the money. at advance auto parts it should only cost you about $100 for a replacement wheel bearing. good luck!!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

aren't the wheel bearings in the wheel hub assembly of ours cars? making them inaccessible and you would have to swap out the whole assembly?

If that's the case, $400 bucks and about 2 hours at a dealership if you don't wanna do it yourself.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM

yes they are a part of the hub assembly. sorry i assumed that would have been known so my bad. the whole assembly comes in and out the way i described previously. either way, it is a fairly simple job to tackle imo.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM

I would do it yourself like one of the previous posters said. Mine only took a little longer because I did not know my own strength and broke on the the bolts holding it in the back. Had to wait until morning to pick one up at the dealership. Cheapest item that I have ever bought as well, the bolt that is. Anyway it is fairly easy just make sure to use some loctite when you are putting them back and you will be good to go. If you do not have one, I would invest or borrow a breaker bar as the bolts in the back can be pretty tight. A good 1/2 inch socket is required to get the three bolts. After that mine just sorta fell off. Was really time to replace that sucker. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thanks for the replies but it looks like i will just be taking my moms car down for the few days and then replace the bearing on a weekend that i go home, but yes i will be doing it myself.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Good luck buddy