Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Factory rims or aftermarket???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010 | 04:12 PM

they should have came on the SSs to begin with. that or the SS wheels with the smaller spokes like the slobalt. And dont all wheels have some form of offset on a fwd car? i regret not buying the 8" ones all the way around now instead of the 7s but i was worried that they would stick out on the ss. i think that the gxp has flared fenders in the front and i was worried that they would stick out.

Old 09-23-2010 | 04:41 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

They would have been a great option to have on the SS. Same with the GXP brakes, HUD, and navigation unit.

Old 09-23-2010 | 05:00 PM

the brakes i agree with. hud is annoying, and didnt the impss have an option for the nav? i would have loved to have the 2 tone interior with the suede too, and if they werent going to give us any of that they could have at least offered the SS wheels in chrome like they did on the later imps and the SS headrests.

Old 10-20-2010 | 06:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Factory Rim Restoration

Good evening everyone... I own a 2002 Monte Carlo SS "Limited Edition", just had one of my factory rims professionally restored after a bad pot hole got to it (cost me $160.00 CDN), looks brand new... I want to do the other 3, but do not wish to spend the that kind of money... Is there a way to restore them in a DIY way that is less expensive?... Hope I'm posting in the right section... Thanks,

Verdam

Old 10-20-2010 | 11:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

Are all 3 of them bent too? Or just corroded? If they're just corroded, it's a much cheaper fix. I'm getting one of my Junior rims fixed because of corrosion around the bead. Local tire and wheel place here in Windsor is only charging me $50. They machine the surface to original condition, and re-clear coat it.

Not sure if you can unbend/straighten a wheel yourself at home. Usually bending aluminum causes it to crack and weaken. You have to heat it up to bend it properly.

Old 10-21-2010 | 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Are all 3 of them bent too? Or just corroded? If they're just corroded, it's a much cheaper fix. I'm getting one of my Junior rims fixed because of corrosion around the bead. Local tire and wheel place here in Windsor is only charging me $50. They machine the surface to original condition, and re-clear coat it.

Not sure if you can unbend/straighten a wheel yourself at home. Usually bending aluminum causes it to crack and weaken. You have to heat it up to bend it properly.
The other 3 are only normal wear and tear (corrosion & scratches)... I'll ask around for the cleaning service... Did you get it done at a national chain?... Thanks for the info,

Verdam

Old 10-21-2010 | 09:30 AM

i want to put a set of all black 20s on mine real bad.

Old 10-22-2010 | 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Verdam
The other 3 are only normal wear and tear (corrosion & scratches)... I'll ask around for the cleaning service... Did you get it done at a national chain?... Thanks for the info,

Verdam
Good morning all, would their be a national chain that can restore them on the cheap?... Cheers,

Verdam,

Old 10-22-2010 | 09:30 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Verdam

Verdam
Sorry I missed your post yesterday.

I got mine done at a local place here in Windsor called Wheel Covers Unlimited. They've been in business here for over 40 years. I don't know if there's a national chain that does it. But check with a tire shop in your area that you trust, and ask them if they know of a place locally that does wheel re-finishing. If there's any car clubs in your area that meet on a regular basis, you could probably ask them too. Chances are they've had to get wheels re-finished before.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2010 | 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Sorry I missed your post yesterday.

I got mine done at a local place here in Windsor called Wheel Covers Unlimited. They've been in business here for over 40 years. I don't know if there's a national chain that does it. But check with a tire shop in your area that you trust, and ask them if they know of a place locally that does wheel re-finishing. If there's any car clubs in your area that meet on a regular basis, you could probably ask them too. Chances are they've had to get wheels re-finished before.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into this wekend... Cheers,