General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Factory Hood And Aftermarket price difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Default Factory Hood And Aftermarket price difference

Long Story short, my car got vandalized by some *****... Insurance is gonna take care of it all but the hood needs replacing. I know somewhere on here I saw a guy post something like this with an insurance claim and he was able to get the ram air hood for about the same cost.. Is this correct? Will a body shop wanna do this or be willing? Im going to get it quoted tuesday. WHat info should I have with me to be able to do this? ANy opinions will be appreciated

Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

whattya know, that guy was me! haha.

the price of my hood even went down a little now, so its covered for sure.
remember, you have the right on any insurance claim to have it replaced with a NEW part. usually, insurance will quote you a price on a scrapped OEM replacement. If the shop is cool like mine was, they know the routine. its your car and you want it replaced how you want it, insurance is gonna comp the money regardless of what you get. if i remember correctly, the price of a NEW hood for our cars is around $540. the current price of the hood i have is at $549, so there ya go. just a couple things to remember:
Shipping: even though pfyc.com has the estimated shipping cost at ~$150 to a city business, this is NOT THE CASE. it is shipped frieght collect and will be paid by the shop.....you'll have to pay them back. Shipping for my hood to downtown san francisco was $300. ya, thats right. $300.
Time delay: This hood is made to order. it took almost 3 weeks for this hood to get to my shop (thank god my insurance gives me a full month of a rental car). then it still has to be prepped and painted, about another week.
Prepping: This hood did not fit perfectly as most fiberglass molds dont. their was some bowing along the edges and their still is.....even after 5 hours of prep time. the shop couldnt find a replacement for my front lip, so they comped me 4 free hours of prep, i paid for the extra hour. painting of the hood shouldnt cost you anything, since they were gonna do that to your stock hood anyways. all together, this hood only cost me about $500 (shop time in CA is expensive) when if i bought it myself, would put me back at least $1,200 to have a decent fitment.

so: 3-4 weeks, + shipping cost and prep cost. (probably around $650 combined)

do i regret the cost: Nope! This hood gets a ridiculous amount of looks.