Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Ease of install on quick struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by D_Spear
Do you guys think my car will look funny if I replace the front first? The back ones are done for it too but it's still sitting at a pretty good height. I just don't want my front end higher than the back.
Here is an old pic of mine... New strut/spring assembly's on the front, the rear was stock lol you can really see how much higher it sat on the front than the rear

Name:  cec2a209.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  117.9 KB

Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Frank, was that before or after the springs settled though. haha

Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Frank, was that before or after the springs settled though. haha
I had them on for a few weeks mike lol

Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ugh I don't like that one bit lol. I wanna do all four at once but I don't think I can afford it. Money is so tight right now.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

ugh I don't like that one bit lol. I wanna do all four at once but I don't think I can afford it. Money is so tight right now.
It's not so bad lol
Good luck with everything though man

Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

I've broken some cheep wrenches. But the Good 3/4 wrenches have done plenty of hub nuts on several cars. Jersey roads eat bearings for breakfast! Lol. B-)

Old 03-16-2013, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll probably just do it all at once and pay for them with credit. But thanks a few weeks and I will do it, I guess I could do a write up with pictures. I'm thinking tie rod ends should be done too since I'm already there. I've replaced the wheel hub/bearings, control arms and ball joints. Control arms were a pain. I'm hopping when I'm done with all this it will drive a lot better. 160k makes the car ride rough...

Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Silly question...I have assembled the new struts and springs, but they seem to be about an inch too long/extended. I can't line up the lower bolt holes...

Obviously I can compress the springs, but how do I compress the strut assembly as a whole unit so it will fit?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

I'll probably just do it all at once and pay for them with credit. But thanks a few weeks and I will do it, I guess I could do a write up with pictures. I'm thinking tie rod ends should be done too since I'm already there. I've replaced the wheel hub/bearings, control arms and ball joints. Control arms were a pain. I'm hopping when I'm done with all this it will drive a lot better. 160k makes the car ride rough...
A write-up would be pretty cool, I don't recall there being one so yea... just get plenty pictures it should definitely ride much much better with new struts/springs! I still have yet to install my new kyb struts and I'll probably be doing lower control arms, definitely new wheel hubs and tie rod ends. I'm at 183k so It's overdue for all of that

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
Silly question...I have assembled the new struts and springs, but they seem to be about an inch too long/extended. I can't line up the lower bolt holes...

Obviously I can compress the springs, but how do I compress the strut assembly as a whole unit so it will fit?
They should be the same length as the old strut/springs once assembled but I could be wrong. You have to put some muscle into it and push down on the steering knuckle to bring everything down until you can line up the holes, at least that's what I had to do you could loosen up the sway bar ends, that might help some. On the rear I loosen up the track bars, trailing arms too (i think, i dont remember) sway bar (which had to be unbolted from the strut anyway) and i also removed the rotor and caliper. It just made everything much easier

Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks Frank. The new strut/spring assembly is the same length, but it doesn't line up with the steering knuckle holes...Just about an inch off.

Rotors and calipers are off as I replaced the wheel bearings/hubs as well.

Going to loosen the sway bar bushings and make it fit.

Quick Reply: Ease of install on quick struts?