Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Components of a strut?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Default Components of a strut?

I am still needing to order the parts for my struts. I want to use all new parts. I have the coils and struts ordered, but I am confused about the other parts. Can anyone that has done it before give me a parts list from the KYBoutlet.com site? I want to go new from the strut mount down to the bottom insulator. I E-mailed KYB and again couldn't get a straight answer.

http://www.kyboutlet.com/mounts-and-...=446&limit=all

Last edited by Pure2sin; 04-26-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 AM

This is from the KYB outlet page. Maybe this helps.

KYB Strut-Plus™

complete corner unit assembly

Purpose: For popular vehicles with high registrations
or a history of spring fatigue
  • Ready to install
  • No spring compressor required
  • Problem solver: quicker and easier
What's Included:

• KYB Excel-G Strut
  • KYB Coil Spring
  • Bearing Plate
  • Boot Kit & Bumper
  • Spring Seat & Isolators
That was all I could find.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lostcausenjtown
This is from the KYB outlet page. Maybe this helps.

KYB Strut-Plus™

complete corner unit assembly

Purpose: For popular vehicles with high registrations
or a history of spring fatigue
  • Ready to install
  • No spring compressor required
  • Problem solver: quicker and easier
What's Included:

• KYB Excel-G Strut
  • KYB Coil Spring
  • Bearing Plate
  • Boot Kit & Bumper
  • Spring Seat & Isolators
That was all I could find.
Helps a little bit. I am going with the AGX strut though so it's a little different. I think I have it figured out this is what I got so far:

Strut Bellow SB127 (2)

Strut Mounting Kit SM5143 (2)

Coil Spring Insulator SM5437 (2)

Coil Spring Seat SM5470 (2)

Strut Bellow SB128 (2)

Strut Mount SM5398 (1)

Strut Mount SM5399 (1)

Coil Spring Insulator SM5440 (2)

Last edited by Pure2sin; 04-27-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:41 PM

Does the front camber change with shorter springs OR is the drop "straight" down with no camber adjustment?
Rear requires "camber kit/longer(?) camber adj. bolt" to move lower control toward the center?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member

The camber kits came in a set of two, so I just got two. I have heard with lowering it that it might not need the camber adjustment when getting an alignment, but I bought them just to be sure.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by G-man
Does the front camber change with shorter springs OR is the drop "straight" down with no camber adjustment?
Rear requires "camber kit/longer(?) camber adj. bolt" to move lower control toward the center?
I will re-state my question: IF one uses lowering springs in the front of a '96 M/C does the camber change?
If one uses lowering springs for the rear of a '96 M/C does one need a camber kit to include two '"camber bolts"(one for each side) to re-adjust the camber at the rear?
The '95 to '99 M/C uses a non-adjustable stamped steel lateral link(2 each side/ four total) therefore one might need the camber kit.
Is this correrct?
The '00 & newer M/C uses two adjustable 3/4" lateral tube type rods. This allows changing the camber or toe-in. BMR uses two (total of 4) 1.25" lateral rods. This would control camber and toe.
Is this correct?
Last, has anyone converted the '95 to '99 stamped steel no adjustable lateral link to a non-adjustable BMR type lateral link? The BMR lateral link shortens to approx. 22".
Does anyone have the stamped link out available to measure center to center/ hole to hole? It could be shorter than the BMR.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member

Correct and not correct. Yes you will need 2 cambers kits with 4 bolts total. The bolt goes in the top bolt position of the bottom of the strut to steering knuckle connection. The 00' and newer Montes do not have two adjustable lateral rods, one is solid one is adjustable. I guess in theory you could use two adjustable but the price difference is the issue. You could buy two camber kits for half the price of one adjustable lateral rod, if you are lucky.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
Correct and not correct. Yes you will need 2 cambers kits with 4 bolts total. The bolt goes in the top bolt position of the bottom of the strut to steering knuckle connection. The 00' and newer Montes do not have two adjustable lateral rods, one is solid one is adjustable. I guess in theory you could use two adjustable but the price difference is the issue. You could buy two camber kits for half the price of one adjustable lateral rod, if you are lucky.
OK. In the front: two camber bolts for each side. Bolts at the strut and steering knuckle. Thank you.
In the rear:
G-Mannn quotes:
"The '00 & newer M/C uses two adjustable 3/4" lateral tube type rods. This allows changing the camber or toe-in.
I mis-stated: two 3/4" adjustable..ONE ON EACH SIDE IN THE LEADING POSITION to control toe-in only. Pure2sin is correct. Thank you
The leading and rear lateral OEM stamped steel '95-'99 arms appear to be different lengths. At this moment I have none to measure. Anyone have and old set to measure?
(quote) "BMR uses two (total of 4) 1.25" lateral rods. This would control camber and toe.
The BMR tube lateral arms are two different lengths. One is shortest to 22" and one is shortes to 23.5". Maybe not short enough. Cost for the BMR is approx. $200 per pair; to total $400. Factory OEM '00 and newer bars ar approx. $110 each. If you want total adjustment you need four leading OEM '00 arms with modification to fit a '96 M/C OR the BMR modified to fit the earlier model year..
So what are other members using for the '96 W car rear lateral arms?