Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6.5" components ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 6.5" components ...

I know this is going to open a huge can-'o-worms - with almost everyone having a favorite "brand", etc. - but I am having such a hard time selecting what 6 1/2" components to run up front in my '03 SS. This is more-or-less a sound quality build ... My days of booomin' the sealed 12's in the trunk are over ... Now it is time to build them under the rear deck, & do it the right way ... (free air), ... etc. ...

I have looked closely at many:

Alpine Type S
Soundstream Reference Series (2-way set, NOT 3-way set)
Boston Acoustics SR60
Infinity - Kappa Component, Kappa Perfect, Kappa Reference
Polk db (I have had MANY Polk products in the past, & loved them all ...)
JL Audio
MTX
MB Quart
... And a few others ...

For various reasons, there are some brands I am not interested in, or for various reasons I have ruled out:

JBL
Pioneer
Kenwood
Sherwood
And, yeah, some others, ... BUT this does NOT mean I do not want to hear about 'em all. Whatever some of you have to offer, I will take the time to read 10 times over, ... promise.

Some rather important details:

I need at least a 1" tweeter, ... & then a 6.5" driver that can put out some amount of bass ... I understand there will not be a ton of bass no matter what, & I am going to be running two 12" subs, but I think I can find something out there.

I am able to install something "difficult" ... fiberglass, fab wood (mdf, bpw, metals, etc.) for the most part, or I can figure out how to do it. I have done some unique things in the past.

I want NO HOLES in the door skin ... everything needs to fit behind ... call it "stealth", if you will.

I crave great vocals ... Love to sing-along, but usually NOT in front of others!

They will be getting approximately 85-100 watts (per channel) of good, clean, capped power.

I do not know what more I can offer without rambling so much more that no one will make it much further, if they/you have made it here at all ...

FYI: Drivers will be well sealed, possibly in their own enclosures, if necessary, & the doors will be well-Dynamat'd. ... I am pretty sure I can answer anything else that may help lead to a great recommendation.
'12

Last edited by Zeke; 01-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I've always had great luck with Pioneers but they've always gotten replaced with Rockford Fosgates lol So my favorite is rockford for sure, it's probably not a competition brand if that's what your leaning towards but I've thrown more than what they were rated at many times and never had an issue. Will definetly be getting Rockford Fosgates after I'm satisfied under the hood, which may be never. Good Luck in finding a set there's so many great choices so I'm sure you'll be satisfied with what other's have to offer.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Im also a fan of Rockford Fosgate, had em in my GMC Sierra & were great & ill prob be putting a set in my monte this summer

Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Alpine type Rs sound quite good. I have type S speakers all the way around. But they are entry level. No mid bass at all. I just bought 4 sets of 6.5 O2 audio components. I'll let you know how those sound when I hook them up

Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I ended up getting some highly recommended Rockford Fosgate Power Series 6.5" after a shop jacked up the Massive Audio speakers I had them put in. These Fosgates are actually very very nice and are especially clear. eBay link below.

NEW Rockford Fosgate T2652-S 2-Way 6.5" Component Car Audio Speakers (780687329235) | eBay

Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM

i suggest sony i got some sony xplod 6x9 for 52.50 a pair they shake the car with ease hooked up to the stock tape player radio playing my mp3 player zero distortion the whole back deck moves now i had to put cotton between the third taillight and window so theyd stop smaking eachother hahahhaha havent even turned it all the way up yet

Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Zippy those are the same Rockfords im gonna be putting in mine

Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM

rockford makes great stuff. i have heard many cars that sound amazing with rockford mids and highs! also look at crescendo. you have to call them but they 6.5 components are 100$ and their new ones are 170$ but supposed to be killer!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Never heard of that brand

Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Never heard of that brand

crescendo? most people havent. their website is worthless so you have to call them. i have personally heard their 100$ sets and they are very nice. their new 170$ isnt out yet. but i expect great things. i have 2 amps from them

Quick Reply: 6.5" components ...