Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): BMR Suspension Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack
Now THIS I didn't know. I thought MOOG was a step above OEM parts.
Perhaps a step above in terms of quality / longevity, but not necessarily in terms of performance vs new OEM parts. They're sold alongside all of the other direct replacement brands at major sites like rock auto, etc. Many of their product lines claim to 'restore performance' (vs worn OEM stuff), not to improve it as often making substantial changes in performance comes with downsides for NVH / comfort.

The modficiations I was talking about were to things outside of the OEM spec range - different ride height, different spring rate, different strut valving (including adjustable settings), different sway bar rates, etc. The drop in replacement companies like Moog try to stay near the OEM spec box (unless there is an obvious design defect) as most customers replacing worn out parts are just looking for a quality part to get operation back to new.

Thats why you won't see these BMR bars for sale at autozone as a replacement for a bent factory bar. They're not OEM replacement spec, nor are they intended to be.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 11-03-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Hope you post your thoughts on them when you do them - they sound interesting. That cradle is such a substantial piece in these cars that you'd think there would some notable upside to solidly connecting it to the body.
I admit, I don't have any plans to install any time soon (but I got them as who knows how long they will be available, strike now lol).

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Well for one, I have had this exact BMR package for years and have never regretted it. Still like new, not some old half assed minimal built set that turns to rust after 3 years under a car. So I'm good with it. Sure it doesnt check all the boxes, but it works for me and I have pushed it hard on professional road courses, even that time I took 1st in Novice class on a SSCA Autocross event, it handled sweet into and out of the corners while under extreme braking, acceleration. I would buy it again.
The plus side, you actually use the car to where those parts are handy! Autocrossing benefits from suspension upgrades.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I could be mistaken, but aren't the MOOG parts just intended to be OEM like replacements and not actual performance upgrades?
I do agree with this. Moog is just an aftermarket for OEM replacement. But they do have some parts that are good upgrades. The rear Moog sway links have a thicker connecting rod and makes for a nice upgrade. And Moog is the only vendor I know that makes the spherical bushing for the front control arms.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
(but I got them as who knows how long they will be available, strike now lol).
I know what you mean, I've bought a few parts just for that exact reason.

Really wish I would've had the foresight to stock up on the GM Racing transmission parts, the people that bought them in the narrow window they were on the marker made an absolute killing on them - even the people that used them.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hind sight my friend.
I actually bought enough brand new OEM badging to re-badge my blue car all around ONCE. Just incase ANYTHING happens (as I have snagged cleaning towels on the scripts and worried I was going to bust them off).