Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

> All About Car Tires <

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > All About Car Tires <

All About Car Tires

In this collection of artidles you'll find everything you need to about automotive tires. Learn how to read a sidewall, discover how to determine tire tread life or just find tips on proper maintenance and care.
  1. How to Read a Tire SidewallThere's a lot of information written on the sidewall of a tire. How do you interpret the tire size? What's the importance of speed ratings or load ranges? How do I know how long a tire will last? Read this artilce and find the answers to all these questions and more. »
  2. How to Correct Irregular and Uneven Tire Tread Wear Here you’ll find the causes as well the corrections to reverse irregular tire tread wear.
    »
  3. Inflating Car and Truck Tires with Nitrogen Learn the difference and discover the benefits of filling tires with nitrogen instead of air.
    »
  4. Car and Truck Tire Maintenance and Care Here you’ll find proper methods and frequencies of tire care and maintenance.
    »
  5. Department of Transportation Safey CodesLearn the DOT codes found on the tires sidewall for tread wear, traction and temperature. Learn how to read the DOT codes for tire production date. »
  6. Using Treadwear Ratings for Buying New Car TiresIf you're planning on keeping your car for a few years and you need tires, this artilce will help you choose the best tire for the buck. »
  7. How to Choose the Right Low Profile Tires If you're planning on buying large diameter wheels for your ride, this article well help you choose the right tires. »
================================================== =============================================
  1. HowStuffWorks "How Tires Work" <~ Click
  2. By the end of this article, you'll understand how a tire supports your car, and you'll know why heat can build up in your tires, especially if the pressure is low.
  3. HowStuffWorks "How long do car tires last?" <~ Click

4. 5 Warning Signs You Need New Tires <~ Click

Last edited by Space; 07-22-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Space, you forgot to include your usual "There will be a test."

Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Keeping your tires inflated properly is important. Under inflated tires are the number 1 cause of blowouts. Does anyone here run nitrogen in your tires. I may look into it when I get new tires. I think once you pay for the nitrogen the shop will keep them inflated to the proper pressure. You just have to go in once a month for them to do it.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

I ran nitro in my previous car tires and liked it, but in my Monte I have the TPMS sensors in the valve stems and I'm not sure how it would react with the sensors?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Nitrogen and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Many new cars and truck come equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system or TPMS. When the tire pressure falls below a certain pressure (PSI), a warning light illuminates on the dashboard of the vehicle. Since the water content associated with regular air will fluctuate along with temperature, the sensors will be triggered more often than if the tire were inflated with nitrogen.

Even though nitrogen will maintain a more consistent pressure and keep a tire inflated for a longer time period, tire pressure should still be checked routinely. If the car owner has low profile tires, the tires should be checked more frequently. Tires inflated with nitrogen are not a guarantee that the tires will not deflate and does not add extra protection for road hazards.

Read more at Suite101: Filling and Inflating Car Tires with Nitrogen: Fuel Mileage Efficiency, Tire Life, Safety and Handling Benefits | Suite101.com Filling and Inflating Car Tires with Nitrogen: Fuel Mileage Efficiency, Tire Life, Safety and Handling Benefits | Suite101.com

Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

thank you sir for the above info...^^......

Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
Space, you forgot to include your usual "There will be a test."

Hi `Tyler,
I've learned that you are an intelligent young man & in no need of testing...I still `do & test myself all the time.
Wish you good luck on finding the best tire & price for your Dubstepticon Monte Carlo
===========================================
Thanks `Lou, great information & contribution on Nitrogen & TPMS..Nitrogen can be expensive, and it pays to check around on prices...I believe it's a good investment, especialy if you have TPMS..

p.s. Hi `Chris, I hope you have your new Monster TV hooked `up & that you are enjoying