Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Abs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 AM
DRU
1 Year Member
Default Abs

I had an ABS light come on. Car drove fine but dash lights annoy me so I figured I find out WTF was going on and fix it. Ran the code and it said my ABS hub modules needed to be replaced.

Bought 2 new hub modules.

Jacked the car up, took the wheels off. Passenger side was quick and easy. Driver side I am stuck with bolts that are locked and not turning. I am a technician by trade and not a mechanic and so I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for me that might help me out in this. I have no real time limit to get this job completed and since its getting cold I wont be driving the Monte anyways.

Also I noticed so dry rot on what I believe are the control arms. (Again I am not a mechanic by any means) Is this an easy replacement?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Soak the bolts with pb blaster or something like it then try getting them loose, if that don't work use a little propane torch to heat it up then try

Old 12-04-2015, 09:19 PM

Agreed on the PB blaster. Also, with the ABS, I know it depends on the code, but I feel like a lot of guys have had experience where the ABS electrical connector just gets really dirty so they clean off the contacts then don't have problems anymore. If changing the hubs doesn't help that might be worth a look.

Picture on the control arms? Are you talking about the ball joints?

Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 AM
DRU
1 Year Member

Ball joints! That has to be what I mean since the name is exactly what they look like!

I'll try the recommendation that have been provided. Thank you for your help.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I suggest you replace the whole control arm(s) which come with new ball joints. The original ball joints are riveted in and the minimal cost difference is not worth dealing with the rivets. You can get the "Moog" control arm that has bolt-on ball joints for easier replacement in the future.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:52 AM

Easy, look in youtube, they have a step by step video by a1 auto....ball joint...