Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): power steering line massive leak help

Old 12-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default power steering line massive leak help

ok so on my way home, i guess my hose decided to crap out on me, why? i have no idea, im hoping i can tighten the bolt and be done with it, doing this was a pain in the ***, but it looks like it needs to be replaced, what you guys think?? heres a vid

Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Looks like the o-ring gave out so tightening probably won't help. Wouldn't hurt to try tightening, but if the nut feels tight more tightening won't help. Just disconnect the hose and look for the o-ring. If it's not there no amount of tightening is gonna' help.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I'm thinking that line has a lot of play in it. Been a while since I messed with the ps lines, but I don't recall them being able to wiggle. I have three trains of thought:
1. - As plumbob said, you may be missing an o-ring (as I'm certain that line has a tiny o-ring for it). Or the o-ring is not properly seated.
2. - The line is not tight enough.
3. - The line appears tight, but really it was cross threaded going in. So it's not seated properly, it's not tightened and there might be a risk that the threads on the line and the pump are messed up as a result.

Best advice, unscrew the fitting, pull the line out. Inspect the line, make sure the o-ring is there and that the threads on the fitting look OK (no flat spots or metal flakes from a cross threaded situation). If all checks out, attempt to re-install the line.

I hope that helps man. I know that's in a tight spot.

Search this Thread