Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 24 inch rims/low pros

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Question 24 inch rims/low pros

I need to find out if I can fit a set of 24s with low pros on them inside the wheel well of a 2001 LS. A buddy of mine wants the rims and tires for his car. He's asked me to do the work on it. Before I ask him to spend lots of unnecessary money for overpriced kits, I want to be sure that I can either fit them in as is, or if I can install a spacer on the struts or a spring spacer. According to the quick look I took tonight, the rim/tire combo will fit inside the wheel well on the rear with at least a two finger gap all the way around.
My experience in mods comes from doing truck lifts and leveling... this would actually be the first car I will attempt to modify where suspension is concerned.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:34 AM

straight on, the wheel/tire combo will most likely fit, when turning the car you will likely end up rubbing on one or both sides...to get a really good idea, just walk into a tire shop that specializes in big wheels and get some info from them, if you act interested, they should tell you no problem. Personal opinion, youre gonna need some kind of spacing kit

Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 AM

No, he cannot just place them on. He will need to cut inside his fender well to be able to fit 24s on and he will also need a lift, unless he goes the expensive way with air bags/coil springs. But never the less, he will need to chop his car up.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
No, he cannot just place them on. He will need to cut inside his fender well to be able to fit 24s on and he will also need a lift, unless he goes the expensive way with air bags/coil springs. But never the less, he will need to chop his car up.
I had a new gen Camaro and 24s went on with no lift or cut. I forget the tire size it's been a few years but I did end up using spacers in the back because they started to rub.

I would think 24's with the correct profile tires would fit on the 6-7 gen MC's but I am not totally sure. I would call a rim shop down south as said prior -- that specializes in this stuff. I can give you someone to call if you PM me.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

WhenI Bought Ol YellaJAC, she had 22s on her. (See attached pic) She looked good. They were 22x8.5 with 245/30xr22s. The rims and wheel combo fit but, I felt every bump no matter how small. They ribbed on the lower strut Spring bracket in the rear for 2 weeks when I put new tires on. So spring spacers will not work. The spring spacers will lift the car, max only 2", but the lower strut brace will remain in the same place. You have to create 2" more space between the Knuckle and the Strut brace. Or have it bent out of the way, or have it cut and relocated 2" up the Strut or get a longer strut. Each of these options can be costly. I had minimal rubbing the front but only when turning the wheel to its max left or right.
Now, with the low profile tires, there is no sidewall to absorb some of the road shock. There for, every bump I hit went straight into the suspension. Needless to say the suspension wore out rather quickly. At that point all the bumps and pot holes went right into the car. ELECTRONICS DON'T LIKE SHOCK AND VIBRATION. Every sensor had to be replaced and the computer had to be re programed twice.
I bought 245/45r18s and a set of 5 18x8 rims. Rebuilt my suspension and took the 22's to the scrap yard. If I were showing Ol YellaJAC, I would have kept the rims and only put them on at the show. But for daily driving they Suck-ith. And I was only driving 14 miles a day to work. Oh yes, a small pot hole can blow a tire!
Over all, I think Big rims are good for Shows, but not for Daily Driving! IMO!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails 24 inch rims/low pros-582216_3976923274506_1358257187_n.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM

a new gen camaro you can, because the suspension set up is very different and the wheel are alot bigger. With a 6th gen monte, he can BARELY fit 22s without fitment issues. 24s you have to cut, even in a 7th gen SS like ours, you have to cut the wheel well a inch or two. My best friend has 24s, and he has had 22s on both a 6th and 7th gen, so i know personally.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
WhenI Bought Ol YellaJAC, she had 22s on her. (See attached pic) She looked good. They were 22x8.5 with 245/30xr22s. The rims and wheel combo fit but, I felt every bump no matter how small. They ribbed on the lower strut Spring bracket in the rear for 2 weeks when I put new tires on. So spring spacers will not work. The spring spacers will lift the car, max only 2", but the lower strut brace will remain in the same place. You have to create 2" more space between the Knuckle and the Strut brace. Or have it bent out of the way, or have it cut and relocated 2" up the Strut or get a longer strut. Each of these options can be costly. I had minimal rubbing the front but only when turning the wheel to its max left or right.
Now, with the low profile tires, there is no sidewall to absorb some of the road shock. There for, every bump I hit went straight into the suspension. Needless to say the suspension wore out rather quickly. At that point all the bumps and pot holes went right into the car. ELECTRONICS DON'T LIKE SHOCK AND VIBRATION. Every sensor had to be replaced and the computer had to be re programed twice.
I bought 245/45r18s and a set of 5 18x8 rims. Rebuilt my suspension and took the 22's to the scrap yard. If I were showing Ol YellaJAC, I would have kept the rims and only put them on at the show. But for daily driving they Suck-ith. And I was only driving 14 miles a day to work. Oh yes, a small pot hole can blow a tire!
Over all, I think Big rims are good for Shows, but not for Daily Driving! IMO!!!!!!!
I refuse to buy anymore rims for my car, they are useless and a waste of money imo. Yes they look nice and stuff, but my 7th gen ss wheels look better on my car than rims imo. And plus, you have to get alignments out the A with rims, and they ride rough too. Im 23, and i hate rims

Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not followed this thread, but I think there is a misunderstanding of the word rim.

I have always known a rim to be the part your tire is mounted to (regardless if it is 14" or 23").

Some times the term wheel is refereed to as just the rim or the rim and the tire mounted to it.

I'm running with 18"s on my monte and love them. The road change from my factory 16's to the 18's was next to nothing and the aftermarket 18's look great IMO.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Everything feels okay at first, but once you hit a decent set of miles, then your suspension falls apart