Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

5th Gen ('95-'99): The zipper repair/rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The zipper repair/rebuild thread

This is going to be a long work in progress because I'm not sure about how much time I'll have to be able to work on my Monte between work, my family and kids, and life in general. But as some of you may know, I ran the Monte at the dragstrip a little bit ago and had a good time. On my sixth time down the 1/4 mile though, something let out in the Monte and now it has a bad miss with the spark plug on cylinder number 2 being smushed.

So, I'm starting to tear down into the Monte. And here's how things are looking so far. I'll keep updating as I make more progress and identify the problem. I'm also doing this in order for me to remember all that I did.

Here I'm just getting started:

Name:  20150829_084219.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  229.8 KB

The Novi 2000 is gone now:

Name:  20150829_085938.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  221.6 KB

Making room in the engine bay and a little more progress:

Name:  20150829_091219.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  223.6 KB

Alternator's gone:

Name:  20150829_091550.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  202.0 KB

Found a broken mount bolt while I was taking it apart:

Name:  20150829_091948.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  163.0 KB

Half of the driver's side mount is gone now:

Name:  20150829_092150.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  212.1 KB

The supercharger setup is off now. The engine bay looks so empty without it.

Name:  20150829_094355.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  211.2 KB

And here's the supercharger setup sitting out:

Name:  20150829_094525.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  137.3 KB

Old 08-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well that about blows for sure. Going to be interesting to see what the failed component / components turns it out to be. You just know big power breaks things and your unique Novi setup made the power to kill something. Time and time again I have had to get towed away from the track or limp it to the shop. Least you turn your own wrenches, so that is a somewhat huge victory in that your not paying some shop to repair the problem. Will be following your thread to see what the gremlin was... Best of luck to you,

Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man, that never sounds good having a smushed plug!
BTW - Does the front header have a hole in it near the flange?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Zippy! It'll be a bit of work, but I was already planning on going into the engine this winter, so this just forces me to do it even if I don't want to, lol.

Maniac, I suspect that the #2 piston is probably chipped. The engine will still run and it runs a little better than when it first went out, but I have 0 vacuum and a really bad miss even after working on it, so I think it's time for another block.

And I double checked the headers just now. There's no hole, it's just funny lighting on a spot where the coating came off the header.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Sorry about the rotten luck brother. Hopefully she gets back up and running properly. Did you have any detonation on the runs?

Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

Man that really sucks after you were having a good time. Hopefully you can get it fixed quick without a lot of stress but we all know how those things go. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sorry to see your monte go down. take your time and build her up over winter and it will be even better in the long run! i also suspect a chipped piston but keep us posted! any kr on the passes before it let go? i wish you the best of luck on getting her back together, keep us all posted!!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member

nitehawk, the Monte had a slight miss randomly, but nothing else jumped out at me. How's your Monte been doing lately? I haven't heard much about it in awhile.

Crazy Zach and Turbo Monte, thanks for the kind words. I'm going to take my time getting it back together, and I'll also be focusing on other things right now, so it'll be a bit before the Monte is fixed.

No progress yet, but I'll keep this updated when progress is made.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:04 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
nitehawk, the Monte had a slight miss randomly, but nothing else jumped out at me. How's your Monte been doing lately? I haven't heard much about it in awhile.

Crazy Zach and Turbo Monte, thanks for the kind words. I'm going to take my time getting it back together, and I'll also be focusing on other things right now, so it'll be a bit before the Monte is fixed.

I hear ya. Were you scanning during the runs?

My Monte's been down and out... MAF stopped picking up frequency and the car ran rough, I got it working again but I don't trust it. It presently sits in the garage, under a tarp. Took an exhaust video a week ago or so.. Trying to do a lot of work to it soon, gotta pull the motor to beat up the firewall for SSACs, then gotta weld up some exhaust, got a N* and LQ4 MAF, 60 lb injectors, and a lot of wiring to do...

It's difficult to get much done with a young one running around... And I have too many projects... Got a Prelude that needs a motor, and a totaled Cavalier that I'm fixing up as a dirt track car... Not enough time in the day brother.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:08 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper

I hear ya. Were you scanning during the runs?

My Monte's been down and out... MAF stopped picking up frequency and the car ran rough, I got it working again but I don't trust it. It presently sits in the garage, under a tarp. Took an exhaust video a week ago or so.. Trying to do a lot of work to it soon, gotta pull the motor to beat up the firewall for SSACs, then gotta weld up some exhaust, got a N* and LQ4 MAF, 60 lb injectors, tuning, finishing up my headlights, and a lot of wiring to do... I'd like to get AC hooked up in it... Then dent repair and paint eventually... I miss driving it sorely.

It's difficult to get much done with a young one running around... And I have too many projects... Got a Prelude that needs a motor, and a totaled Cavalier that I'm fixing up as a dirt track car... That added to the perks of being a homeowner... Not enough time in the day brother.