Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Thinking about calling it an SS now/ Last piece of puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know about your wheels, but I had to grind my calipers down a bit along the outer edge to make them fit - I actually downsized under the OE ones. I don't think I ever told anybody that! The passenger wheel wouldn't even rotate when the lugs were tightened, even tho the wheels were supposed to be custom made for the car. Custom stuff seldom works out perfectly. I ground both calipers and painted them and you wouldn't even know to look at them now.

I don't know what you can do about the strut.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:28 PM

I had to install spacers to make them fit on mine also (same wheels, stock sized tires on a 96 LS). I wouldn't grind the caliper bracket any more than a simple cleanup of any casting flash/roughness - you don't want to take away any real amount of material there. They make a lot of different thickness of spacers, just go up to the next thickest available if it's still rubbing.

Can't help you with the strut part because I have coilovers all around. Putting in spacers up front to clear the brakes also got me out away from the lower spring perch. I did have to run spacers in the back because they would rub on my spring perches at anything lower than 100% max ride height. Unfortunately, I still have the stock hubs/studs out back, so with a spacer there isn't enough thread to be safe on mine, so I'll have to switch the back out to the longer ARP studs also like I had done up front.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the help guys. That should get me going with a direction. I found a set of 1" spacers which would get me going I think. They bolt to the hub, like the wheel would, then the wheel bolts to them, so I wouldn't have to press in longer studs like I thought I would. I think the reason why the tire is rubbing the bottom of the spring perch in the front is because of the deeper offset and width of these wheels. I checked the difference in height and it's only a ~1/4" difference between the tires. The stockers look like they'd rub if they sat in any further, so I think that's the biggest issue and spacers would make this combo work, without replacing tires yet.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Check the link they call them HUB Centric spacers. this is what I used in the front.

wheel spacers 5x114.3 | eBay

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about calling it an SS now/ Last piece of puzzle-spacers.jpg  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I'm running 17's and people think I should lower it
I think it looks fine just enough rubber to metal

Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by carkhz316
Thanks for the help guys. That should get me going with a direction. I found a set of 1" spacers which would get me going I think. They bolt to the hub, like the wheel would, then the wheel bolts to them, so I wouldn't have to press in longer studs like I thought I would. I think the reason why the tire is rubbing the bottom of the spring perch in the front is because of the deeper offset and width of these wheels. I checked the difference in height and it's only a ~1/4" difference between the tires. The stockers look like they'd rub if they sat in any further, so I think that's the biggest issue and spacers would make this combo work, without replacing tires yet.
Wow, do you really need 1" to get it to clear the stock struts? I must've got lucky switching to coilovers, I only needed 1/4" to clear it.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

clearances are important
my front caliper cover and wheel is only a paper thin gap check

Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Check the link they call them HUB Centric spacers. this is what I used in the front.

wheel spacers 5x114.3 | eBay
These are pretty much what I found, albeit on a quick Amazon search. I think I'll probably be using them. Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Wow, do you really need 1" to get it to clear the stock struts? I must've got lucky switching to coilovers, I only needed 1/4" to clear it.
Well, I had a pair of 1/4" generic spacers left over from the wheels I got/ had on my old Lumi Z34, and stacked together (1/2" total) the SS wheels still didn't clear the caliper or spring perch.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by carkhz316
Well, I had a pair of 1/4" generic spacers left over from the wheels I got/ had on my old Lumi Z34, and stacked together (1/2" total) the SS wheels still didn't clear the caliper or spring perch.
Really? I'm almost certain I've only got a single 1/4" on each side and they cleared the calipers by probably almost 1/8". Do you have stock calipers? Not surprised about the spring perch though, the stock ones are pretty huge.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member

Calipers and struts are stock. Not sure why stuff is lacking clearance.