Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Thinking about calling it an SS now/ Last piece of puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Thinking about calling it an SS now/ Last piece of puzzle

I know I don't post here much, and I don't have many pics as my car is stored more than driven these days; but figured I'd share a bit. I finally picked up some '06+ SS 18" wheels for the Monte with good rubber for cheap off of CL. I have wanted a set for quite some time, both for the looks, and to upgrade from the poor condition stock '16's I have on it currently (even though I still don't mind the look of those).

Name:  NCM_1205.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  94.4 KB

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've shared much about the car, but I bought it in March of 2006 with 120k miles. During the summer of 2010, I finally top-swapped it. In the summer of 2013, I swapped a 5 speed Getrag 284 into it. After I got the basic tuning finished after the 5spd swap, everything works and appears as if it were stock. I deleted all auto trans related codes, so no more check engine light. The cruise control works and deactivates as intended, via the switch, brake or clutch pedal. I installed a stock Lumina/ GP clutch safety switch too. Even my factory PK2 anti-theft if functional yet. Anyway, here's a few pics:

A bit older pic, in-between top-swap and 5 speed swap
Name:  IMG_20130526_125611.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  111.3 KB

And one after all said and done with a homemade FWI. Only non-stock thing that is obvious underhood. I intend to someday use better couplers to make it blend more seamlessly, but it works for now
Name:  IMG_20130714_200258.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  120.1 KB

Halfway during 5spd swap. Test fit of 284:
Name:  HPIM2634.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  134.0 KB

And final interior shot
Name:  IMG_20130714_200206.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  96.0 KB

Old 06-13-2016, 01:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you haven't put those wheels on yet, be careful with the tire size. If it's the stock 235/50 it might be too tall for the rear struts.

Loving that 5-speed swap, great job!

Old 06-13-2016, 02:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

It's a fantastic project! Nobody ever does that manual swap, so I'd love to hear more about how that's working for you. I can't wait to see finalized pics of this project - I hope you can make those wheels work for you!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If you haven't put those wheels on yet, be careful with the tire size. If it's the stock 235/50 it might be too tall for the rear struts.

Loving that 5-speed swap, great job!
Originally Posted by JuniorCar
It's a fantastic project! Nobody ever does that manual swap, so I'd love to hear more about how that's working for you. I can't wait to see finalized pics of this project - I hope you can make those wheels work for you!
Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the heads up about the tire size. I hadn't even considered it as I just assumed that the they were going to be the same overall diameter as a 225/60r16; but I realize/ remember that 245/45 is a bit closer. Oh well, the tires are only about half tread or less, so maybe I can squeeze em on. I would have tried test fitting them already, but the car is kinda buried in the garage in the moment. I think it'll be my weekend project.

As far as the rest of the car, though I haven't even driven it this year, I've been driving it every summer, and in the 2+ years since the 5 speed swap, everything has worked great! I did end up putting a second 284 in it in '14, as the original I picked up had a sloppy 4th synchro, and the input shaft bearing was noisy as well. I could have dealt with it, but it was turning the lube oil silver in less than 100 miles, so I knew I had to do something about it. It was disappointing at first, but since everything worked otherwise, I kept at it. Ended up finding another one on Car-Part for pretty cheap and swapped it the next summer. All is well with that one so far.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

The only reason that I know, is that I tried to put 235/50s on my car for storage one year (using another set of old rims), and I couldn't even back it up into its spot. It rubbed like crazy.

I have 245/45s on the 4 corners of my actual rims.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

I would love to hear more about the manual swap as well? How you did it and what you took the manual from to mount it up to the Monte?
I really miss the manual trans.
Once in awhile I get to drive one when somebody that has one doesn't know how to shift.
So if you get a chance keep the news coming.
The wheels.
I swapped the wheels out on mine and the 6th gen wheels were not offset to clear the calipers and I had to get spacers for the front. So far everything has been working well.

Last edited by drivernumber3; 06-14-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

WOW! Awesome mods with the Monte! No doubt would be awesome to see more about how you did the manual swap.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Very impressive! That took guts to make the manual swap.
I assume you used parts from a GP to make the linkage, shifter, pedal, etc.... to make the compatable transition?

Great work

Old 06-15-2016, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
I would love to hear more about the manual swap as well? How you did it and what you took the manual from to mount it up to the Monte?
I really miss the manual trans.
Once in awhile I get to drive one when somebody that has one doesn't know how to shift.
So if you get a chance keep the news coming.
The wheels.
I swapped the wheels out on mine and the 6th gen wheels were not offset to clear the calipers and I had to get spacers for the front. So far everything has been working well.
Coincidentally, I have a pair of spacers from a long time ago that I got with the wheels I put on my old Lumi Z34 (sold) So, I may try those if I run into issues. I did check the tire size comparison calculator thing, and it looks like about .3 inches closer to the strut in diameter (.6 inches total diameter larger), and another .25 inch closer in width. Now, I'm not sure how close the stock wheels sit to the strut, but I don't think they're that close. I guess I'll find out. The offset though, that I don't know how far off will be.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
WOW! Awesome mods with the Monte! No doubt would be awesome to see more about how you did the manual swap.
Thanks! Pretty much right after I finished with this thing, I got the wild idea to LS4 swap it, which if I can find a decent donor engine, and solve the starter issue, will be the next and probably final (cough, not, turbo, hahahha) project for this car.

Originally Posted by plumbob
Very impressive! That took guts to make the manual swap.
I assume you used parts from a GP to make the linkage, shifter, pedal, etc.... to make the compatable transition?

Great work
Thanks! I actually did get pretty much everything from a GP, though a Lumina would have been the same.

I have a write-up/ sticky over on W-body.com if you guys want to check out the whole process:

Monte Carlo Z34 5-speed swap HOW-TO - Powertrain - W-body.com Community

Old 06-18-2016, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member

So I finally tried to test fit the wheels last night. I thought it had 235's on it, but they're actually 225/50's. Strangely, the rears fit just fine, but the fronts are hitting the brake caliper bracket, and the tire is of course rubbing the bottom of the strut. Now, I have seen these wheels on 1st gen Lumis, and Monte's like mine. Anyone care to share what they did to make 'em fit? It looks like a set of spacers would do the trick, but figured I'd ask first. I did try searching, but not much is on the web with these cars it seems.

Last edited by carkhz316; 06-18-2016 at 11:33 AM.