Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Time to race

Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 AM
3 Year Member
Default Time to race

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, but thought I'd come on here and get some advice from you all on racing.

I have a couple of friends who think that my 06 SS is slow for some reason. They haven't been in it, but since its a bigger car with FWD it must be slow (don't mind a quick google search will bring up a 0-60 in 6s and a 1/4 in the low 14s).

So anyway, they've been egging me on to race and I keep telling them any time, but they find a way out of it. Eventually we'll meet at a light, or I'll just have to beat down their garage door to get them to man up and race.

With all the trash talking, there's no way I can let myself lose here. Especially when these guys are quite the dbags when it comes to cars.

I have a couple mods, a CAI and a diablo (soon to be a DiabLew) tune.

As I'm sitting there in my car, about to race, what do I do to best translate that horsepower to the ground? Any driving tips, cheap mods, or other advice to lowering the 1/4 mile time?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 AM

..Great to see you back online....If you have the $'s in your Mod Budget you can also consider a Turbo or Charger for your Monte.

Also, if you have a Track close...I would go & test your Monte & practice your launch..."Street Racing can be very expensive `if caught 4-Sure"

Below are a few links to check out...Please post & let us know if you race + the outcome...Good Luck & be Safe `OK

How to do a Front Wheel Drive Burnout Drag Racing

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
... Here is a practice drag racing tree for bracket racing (not a PRO TREE). ... FWD Burnouts (Honda, Acura, and other front wheel drive car ...
<CITE>www.howtodragrace.com/.../how-to-do-a-front-wheel-drive-burnout</CITE> - Cached - Similar

<LI class="g knavi">
Front Wheel Drive Lauching Tips

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> Third, because FWD vehicles launch with the front wheels ( believe me, ... Stick the clutch back in, go to second, and go on to win your race. ...
<CITE>www.se-r.net/car_info/fwd_launch_tips.html</CITE> - Cached - Similar- Block all se-r.net results

Not helpful? You can block se-r.net results when you're signed in to search. se-r.net

<LI class="g knavi">
Modern Racer - Driving Tips - Drag Racing Launch Techniques

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> This is the reason why front-wheel-drive pro drag-racing cars have wheelie bars installed at the back, to keep the front end pressed to the ground. ...
<CITE>www.modernracer.com/tips/dragracinglaunchtechniques.html</CITE> - Cached - Similar

Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Turn off traction control and put your gear selector in 3.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

What are you racing against?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
3 Year Member

Thanks Space! Helpful links indeed!

Chibi, what exactly does that do?

Mrl, they a 2008ish dodge charge 6cyl, a 90ish mustang gt, and a 2000 mercedes cl430

Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

In that case, here are a few tips. Line up side by side and shut the car off. Wait for the other guys to go. Then start the car, put it in drive and floor it. lol.

Seriously, the only one of those vehicles that could give you any trouble is the GT. Thats if its modded at all. Most fox body mustangs running around are tired and worn out and god awful slow.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM
3 Year Member

Thats what I'm saying! I should walk the dodge, and I don't think I'd have a problem with the GT. I've been mostly nervous about the mercedes.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Putting the gear shifter in 3rd prevents your transmission from forcing overdrive, over drive forces the shifts earlier to keep your RPMs down. Also 4th gear overdrive is the weak part of the transmission, so you want to not race in it.

Turning off traction control will let your car spin a tire for without the computer killing power to it and ruining your launch. Obviously you should feather and learn how to launch your car, but trac control is a bad thing to use.