Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Question to 3.9 owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Question to 3.9 owners

I've only raced twice and both were against 2004+ silverado crew and an extended cab trucks.

Do the 3.9 engines shift down hard or is it just my car? The few times that I go WOT the car feels smooth. It never pushes me back or anything. Is this how the engine is for everybody? And against both trucks I am able to only creep up untill I pass them. Are trucks really that fast or am I just too slow???

Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Default RE: Question to 3.9 owners

when i punch it, my car moves, hard, like i get that lil throw back in the seat, and have to keep the steering wheel straight. lol

Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i dont know about the 3.9, but i haven't had any problems beating the 04+ silverado's, i'm usually a few lengths ahead of them

Old 06-25-2007, 12:51 AM

Just today I raced a 04 Chevy with a 6.0L single cab. Its my buddies. I had no problem beating him. Check your traction control i noticed that sometimes if its on it will use the brakes the tranny and the engine. or if your really having problems take it to the dealer. I took mine when I thought I had a hesitation, and they looked at it and said they couldnt find anything, but it didnt cost anything. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Mine tosses me back quite easily, enough to get my mom and my girlfriend to tell me to slow down But you for sure want to make sure traction control is off, the tires will slip and when they do TC will slow you down so you can get traction.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I believe that I've heard that around 4000 rpms the second intake kicks in which changes the pulses to the valves (vvt), andtimed to the transmission kick down because of the demand for torque from the tires.

Yes, if feel goooooood to hear the roller components scream.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 PM
15 Year Member

Man. I guess theres something wrong with my car because I just keep up with trucks. The car feels fast and doesnt feel like theres anything wrong with it. I have plenty of cruising and passing power. Both times that I've raced weren't form a stop. I haven't gone WOT froma dead stop yet. Maybe thats how I can take them, from the line.

It used to be alot torquier when I had the AC delco air filter on. The gas pedal was a lot firmer and stickier from what I remember. Once I put in the K&N filter it smoothed everything out. The pedal had noresistence.I'll have to buy another AC filter just to compare since I threw the old one out.

Anyone experience this with a K&N drop-in filter? I think the filter was what changed my car. I felt the difference immediately and so did my wife. The low end tourqe just went away. I'll get a replacement paper filter on Saturday to make sure. I really didn't want to change since the filter was expensive but I want the car to feel the same way it did when I first got it.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 PM

Wierd. I would have thought it added a bit of power. I still have my stocker in there.. Good ol acdelco one.. And I can Outrun a C/cab 4x4 6.0L, or one of the military police's 6.0l Tahoes, no problem.. Now getting away from the Impala patrol cars, is a little more difficult.

(I am freinds with the MP's, no Illiegal stuff here)

Old 07-15-2007, 09:48 AM
15 Year Member

Well I just gave my Monte an oil change with the new Q' horse power oil and put in an STP air filter. Everything feels much better. The car shoots off way quicker now with slight pedal pressure on cruising speeds. It even pushes me back now with half throttleI wished I could of gotten an AC Delco air filter but no one sells those. I might need to go to a dealership to get one..I don't know.

Still not as good as with the Delco if I remember right but leagues better than with the K&N.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:25 AM

Really? There's that much difference? See, I though my K&N was better at 4k plus, but slightly weaker in the lower RPMs where the shorter intake tract was needed. Still, nothing to complain about. I'll have to get a regular paper replaceable and see what it does. With the variable intake, the car could rely heavily on the air filter providing the correct resistance.