Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

- High Performance Car Comparison -

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - High Performance Car Comparison -

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Motor Week[/align][align=center]* On MotorWeek TV, this Week *[/align][align=center]This Report [/align][align=center][X(]Not by MCF Space/Reporter [X(][/align][align=center]They said my MCF Press Pass[/align][align=center]was not accepted...I cried [X(][/align][align=center]

High Performance Car Comparison

Chevrolet
Corvette Z06
[/align][align=center]
ENGINE: 7-liter normally-aspirated V8
HORSEPOWER: 505
TORQUE: 470 lb feet
0-60 mph: 4.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.0 seconds @ 121 mph
Price: $70,000 [X(]

Dodge
Viper SRT-10
[/align][align=center]
ENGINE: 8.3 liter aluminum V-1O
HORSEPOWER: 510
TORQUE: 535 lb feet
0-60 mph: 4.3 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.4 seconds @ 120 mph
Price: $83,995 [X(][X(]

Ford Mustang
Shelby GT500
[/align][align=center]
ENGINE: 5.4 liter twin-cam supercharged V8
HORSEPOWER: 500
TORQUE: 480 lb feet
0-60 mph: 4.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.7 seconds @ 113 mph
Price: $41,675

Program #2625
What do you get when you put a Chevrolet Corvette Z06, a Dodge Viper SRT-10, and a Ford Shelby GT500 all on the same race track? A heart pounding 1500 horsepower thrill ride filled with raucous sights and sounds of speed. And you get out of the way!!
The Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is the latest ultimate edition of America's premiere sports car, Dodge's Viper SRT-10 has been called the modern-day Cobra, while the Ford Shelby GT500 recalls the glory days of Mustang muscle. All represent the epitome of street performance for their respective makers - and generates debate and daydreams in equal measure among their faithful followers.
The Z06 weighs in at 3,132 pounds and packs a whopping 505 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque thanks to its 7-liter normally-aspirated V8.
With numbers like that, it's no surprise that this atomic orange cruise missile is fast out of the starting gate even on a bone chilling morning, hitting its stride to 60 in just 4 seconds. Eight seconds later, it crosses the quarter-mile stripe showing 121 miles-per- hour on the speedo.
Just a few tick behind the Z06, the Dodge Viper's massive 345/30 ZR-rated 19-inch rear tires provide just enough grip to launch a 0-60 run in 4.3 seconds. It blows through the quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 120 miles-per-hour.
The Viper tips the scales at 3,450 pounds and draws its power from a monstrous 8.3 liter aluminum V-1O. It produces no less than 510 horsepower and a meaty 535 pound-feet of tire-smoking torque.
[b]The GT500 is a newcomer to this bunch, but comes with full street racer credentials: its 5.4 liter twin-cam supercharged V8 boasts an even 500 ponies and 480 pound-feet of torque. It's handicapped in this group by a rather hefty 3,950 pound curb weight, but it is the only one equipped with a back sea

Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Default RE: - High Performance Car Comparison -

I would seriously get the Ford in this case, drop about 5 grand in mods and the car would be running in the deep 11's for less money than the other 2.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

I would seriously get the Ford in this case, drop about 5 grand in mods and the car would be running in the deep 11's for less money than the other 2.
Hey `Dan, I didn't think we were permitted to swear
on the MCF. I was put in time out 4 post'in
~U can go`Ford yourself~
Seriously, The Shelby GT500
[align=center]
[/align]
is a Super Package 4 the $$
Members, `if U get the chance, catch MotorWeek
and watch this Awesome Comparsion Test.
It's a Kid's Hot Rod `Wet Dream : )
2 `Dare 2 `Dream
`Space

Old 07-01-2007, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

you would think so wouldnt ya.... but its not the case.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

stock 06 zo6 beats a 05 stang worth 70k w/ 840hp in the 1/4 mi

Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Holy Crist!!! They put $43,000 into modifications on that Mustang and it was still slightly slower.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...onclusion.html

A big thing I noticed though was the Mustang and the Stock Corvette were the only ones to pass emissions. I live in a non emissions area and I'm pretty sure if you uncorked it (like I obviously would), that Mustang would be a hell of a lot faster. In the end though 43 Grand in mods!!!! Damn.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Also something to note is that Mustang got hurt on the all out mile. I'm not going to defend it on that point - reliablity is reliability. But that Stang was also completed in 10 days. That simply isn't enough time for that car compared to the other more expensive cars and the time they got.

I think it would have been better to go twin turbo as well but you don't have a chance to do that in 10 days. That's like a month or 2 month project if you can concentrate all your time on it since it would all be customized.

In either case it doesn't matter, that stock Corvette is one bad ***** F...

Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 AM

[align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][align=center]
ROAD TEST - Jaquar XK
ROAD TEST - Porsche 911 Turbo[/align]If you are in the mood to spend big dough, then you’re ready for our Drivers’ Choice Dream machines. Leading MotorWeek’s trio of desires is the Jaguar XKR. This 420-horsepower supercharged feline combines the sports car prowess that originally made Jaguar such an icon, with an uncompromising attention to finesse and detail that is a hallmark of the brand’s posh sedans.
Even more rarified is the latest V12 prancing horse, the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. With drop-dead gorgeous Pininferina styling, and a richly serious driver-oriented two-seat cabin, the all-aluminum, 611-horsepower 599 rewards a select few with a level of GT style and performance that is muscular yet spare.
When it comes to living a dream, our fully conscience choice is the latest Porsche 911 Turbo. The 911 Turbo fuses with our grey matter on a super human level for super car performance. With 480 twin-turbo horses, it can flash past by like a vision, yet deliver a down-to-earth feel that connects with the road, and the driver, at every level. [/align]

Old 07-03-2007, 06:24 AM

[align=center]Member's, which Car, on this post would you [/align][align=center]choose `if you won the Lotto ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My Choice is Ferrari 599 GTB[/align][align=center]Even more rarified is the latest V12 prancing horse, the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. With drop-dead gorgeous Pininferina styling, and a richly serious driver-oriented two-seat cabin, the all-aluminum, 611-horsepower rewards a select few with a level of GT style and performance that is muscular yet spare.
[/align][align=center]Post your Choice `ok[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Vehicle Tested:
2007 Ferrari 599 2dr Coupe

First Impressions:
The 599 is the exotic Gran Turismo you expect from Ferrari, but it also succeeds in exceeding our expectations as a sports car.

[*][align=center]Brilliant 612-horsepower V12 [/align][*][align=center]Lightning-quick paddle-shifted six-speed [/align][*][align=center]Electromagnetic suspension dampers [/align][*][align=center]Traditionally impeccable Ferrari interior [/align][ul][/ul][align=center][/align][/align]5,999 reasons to fall in love, and just two freckles to ignore

[/align][b]It's difficult to discuss a Ferrari without a twinge of reverent nostalgia. In some cases, blind praise for all things red and Italian has been misplaced, but in other ones, the superlatives and hyperbole are well-deserved. That said, the 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano will go down in history as one of the greatest Ferrari road cars ever. There, we said it.

Rated at 612 horsepower, the 3,722-pound 599 GTB rivals many barely legal, slightly disguised racecars with its 6.1-pound/hp weight-to-power ratio. Launched properly and shifted via the improved F1-Superfast six-speed transmission, Ferrari claims a 3.7-second 0-to-62 mph (100 km/h) time. The wind-tunnel-tested Pininfarina-sculpted body and undercarriage produce more than 400 pounds of downforce at 186 mph on the way to a claimed top speed in excess of 200 mph. The optional carbon-ceramic brake discs look like they came directly from a Le Mans racer. The semiactive suspension works miracles on nearly any surface. Yet the two-seat coupe can be driven comfortably, safely and with confidence all day, every day while it carries 11.3 cubic feet of luggage — custom-tailored, if you wish.

While the car hides a wealth of trickle-down racing technology, it also pampers like a luxury Grand Tourer. Latent fury, dormant volatility, elegant violence all sum up the newest creation from the dedicated marque that's about to enter its 60th year. For between $250,000 and $260,000 and after a two-year wait, you, too, could enjoy one of the world's most advanced and coveted cars.

In the Ferrari tradition
In the richest Ferrari tradition, the "Cheen-quay, no-vay, no-vay, Gran Turismo Berlinetta Fiorano" (599 GTB Fiorano) showcases the classic front-engine V12 rear-drive configuration that began with the very first production car to bear the founder's name in 1947. While that formula has more or less remained, Enzo himself may never have been able to fathom to what extreme it would one day be exploited in the 599 GTB.

Or maybe he did. Writ large below a smiling portrait of Enzo Ferrari on a poster in one of the trackside briefing rooms deep within the company's Maranello, Italy testing facility called Pista di Fiorano (track of Fiorano) is a quote that reads, "…if I had to say that when I started, I thought of making more than just one car, I would be lying." It is with this dedicated stance that each Ferrari seems to be conceived, designed and built; as if each creation is to be the first and last car to ever bear the name Ferrari. Each car represents the absolute best the legendary maker can produce at that time (cost no object), but at the same time, leaves the door open for yet unimagined improvements. Such is the case with the 599 GTB Fiorano.

Lofty goal
The challenge put to the engineering team on the 599 GTB was to surpass the brutal performance of the twin-turbocharged midengine F40 supercar (1987-1992), never mind the 575M Maranello, which the 599 GTB technically replaces. Once the undisputed supercar of record, the F40 remains on many (published and personal) lists as one of the best performance cars of all time. Does the 599 eclipse the F40? We have to take Ferrari's word for it because the carmaker didn't provide us a side-by-side comparison

Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 AM

[:-]~ She wants to trade her Ferrari for a Chevrolet Monte Carlo ~[:-]
Will you let her Test Drive Yours ?