Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

2007 Monte SS VS 2002 Subaru WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Default 2007 Monte SS VS 2002 Subaru WRX

My buddy wants to race me he has a 2002 wrx with a straight pipe and I have a 2007 monte carlo ss stock who do you think would win

Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Default RE: 2007 Monte SS VS 2002 Subaru WRX

from wha ti know of the WRX he will eat your lunch.
He has weight and also can rev faster then you would in the monte carlo.

If you have the S/C you might beabel to get him with it. but the one i had a chance to run i did for fun and he tore me a new tail pipe. but his was also built up a bit more then just a straight pipe

I say do it for the fun of it

Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i'd do it for the fun of it

i think i'd have fun with that

Old 05-23-2007, 12:45 AM

even though he is only running 225 hp you think he would still beat me he isnt running a sti it is just a wrx impreza 2.5

Old 05-23-2007, 05:45 AM

Hi Todd, Go RACE'em : ) & WIN : )
By Space
Ann Arbor - You already know about the Subaru Impreza WRX, the 227-hp, turbocharged wondersedan and -wagon that are the hottest Subarus to come to America since . . . well, ever. But we've unearthed another shiny nugget in the new-for-'02 Impreza lineup: the 2.5 RS. Although denied its headline-grabbing sibling's turbocharged engine, the 2.5 RS is otherwise so akin to the WRX that it emerges as a standout sport compact itself.
[/align]

First of all, the 2.5 RS apes the WRX look, sporting the same son-of-a-rally-car fender bulges and massive front air dam and wearing identical sixteen-inch alloy wheels and 55-series Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires (although the WRX can be had with seventeen-inch wheels, which are not offered here). Opt for the rear spoiler and front fog lights, and the two cars are near twins.
[align=center][/align]

Inside, it's much the same story, as the 2.5 RS has the same aggressive sport seats (but without side air bags); silver-accented dash (with gray, not silver, gauges); and black-leather-trimmed shifter, handbrake, and steering wheel (only it's not a Momo wheel).
[align=center][/align]

More telling than looks, though, is the way the 2.5 RS mimics the WRX's driving dynamics. The chassis feel is nearly identical, with firm suspension tuning and plenty of body control. Despite its all-wheel drive, the 2.5 RS has a degree of playful, throttle-controlled adjustability in corners. Of course, all-wheel drive also negates any torque-induced steering weirdness, while the steering itself offers proper effort and real feel.
[align=center][/align]

For motivation, the 2.5 RS uses Subaru's 2.5-liter four, which is more gritty than free-revving but does muster a gutsy 165 hp and 166 lb-ft of torque, all while emitting that familiar boxer growl. Although this engine doesn't pack the wallop of the WRX's turbo, its response is far more linear, and it moves the 2.5 RS eagerly through traffic. Ultimate acceleration is hindered somewhat by the Impreza's slight porkiness (it's just shy of 3000 pounds), but some of those pounds can be traced to the all-wheel drive, which has compensating benefits in sticking to slippery pavement.
[align=center][/align]

The 2.5 RS and the WRX are the only Impreza sedans; there is no snore-inducing base model, and the old 142-hp, 2.2-liter engine has been banished. The price-leader Impreza is now the 2.5 TS wagon; there's also the Outback Sport wagon. That the 2.5 RS--the de facto base Impreza sedan--competes handily with top-of-the-range sport compacts such as the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and the Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T makes a statement about Subaru: The WRX is no anomaly.
[align=center][/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][center]
One-Year Test Verdict: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
Subaru single-handedly redefined the sport-compact market in America when it introduced the turbocharged Impreza WRX.
By Editors of Motor Trend
For years, we'd been forced to endure glowing, near-heroic WRX reviews from our overseas counterparts, but, finally, we got to experience the hype first-hand. What some felt was a gamble on Subaru's part turned out to be a harbinger of good--no, great--things to come. We figured any automotive enthusiast who could fog a mirror would certainly appreciate a mid-$20,000 sedan packing 227 horsepower and all-wheel drive--and we were correct.

When the opportunity to sample a WRX came along, we decided to add one more element to the mix: "Make it a wagon to give the un

Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 PM

WRX FTW!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM

from a 30 roll you should have him no problem i would think and if you do it from a 30 roll put your car in 1 and the rpm's will be at about 45K (given this is on my 3.8 so i dont know about the 5.3) The car will take off much faster and then after the transmmision shifts just push it up to D and you should take him

if you go from a dig (dead stop) it will be closer becasue he hasAWD(all wheel drive) and can launch much better than you can dream off but i still think you should be able to take him

You at 300hp and him at235hp (i think) you should have him

Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM

I've had several WRX's kick my *** at the track. The last one I raced ran mid-12's. A WRX would, unfortunately, beat your Monte Carlo if yours is bone stock.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:20 PM

dont put any money on it. the AWD is going to eat you alive on take off, and probably put a few cars between you. you race long enough (i.e. 1/4 or longer) and you'll run him down. but AWD cars are monsters on take off, on the street especially, if the driver isn't affraid to throw a little punishment on the car.

my tbss is AWD and i'll kill99% of carsthrough the intersection of a redlight race. but depending on how far we race, and WHAT i'm racing for that matter, depends on if the other car will run me down

if you're doing it for fun, go for it. but again, dont bet money on it unless you're racing a considerable distance

Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: matts

dont put any money on it. the AWD is going to eat you alive on take off, and probably put a few cars between you. you race long enough (i.e. 1/4 or longer) and you'll run him down. but AWD cars are monsters on take off, on the street especially, if the driver isn't affraid to throw a little punishment on the car.

my tbss is AWD and i'll kill99% of carsthrough the intersection of a redlight race. but depending on how far we race, and WHAT i'm racing for that matter, depends on if the other car will run me down

if you're doing it for fun, go for it. but again, dont bet money on it unless you're racing a considerable distance
or just race him from a roll and take away his advantage of AWD

Quick Reply: 2007 Monte SS VS 2002 Subaru WRX