Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: If I had to choose just one ? it would be
Ford Mustang
27.27%
Scion FR-S
27.27%
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
9.09%
Mazda Miata
0%
VW "GTI
0%
Subaru BRZ
9.09%
I don't like any of them..I'll keep my $'s & my Monte
27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

= $28K High-Performance Two-Door Comparison =

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default = $28K High-Performance Two-Door Comparison =

$28K High-Performance Two-Door Comparison

Cheap Thrills: Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ Face Off Against the Ford Mustang, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mazda Miata, and VW GTI****Not cheap 2 me 4-Sure ****
* Member's `if you had to choose one, which one would you pick ? Please vote above ^

2013 Subaru BRZ Buyer's Guide

MSRP: $25,495 - $27,495
MPG Range: 30 - 30 mpg

Body Style: Coupe

From the July, 2012 issue of Motor Trend
By Motor Trend Staff
| Photos Julia LaPalme

With the average transaction price of a newcar in the U.S. at just under $31,000,<~ WoW., it's tough going for many an American auto shopper. And if you're a prospective buyer of an "enthusiast" car, whose extra horses and performance parts tend to inflate bottom lines up to the top shelf, the outlook is even grimmer.

Or is it?

The launch of the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ twins has poured a double shot of buzz into the bang-for-the-buck tumbler. For well under 30 large, these two 200-horse coupes offer the tried-and-true formula of front engine, rear drive, and low weight, but add to that a limited-slip, summer Michelins, and a Nuerburgring-tuned suspension. Any questions?

But rather than compare just the Scion and Subaru, we gathered today's hottest two-doors -- the refreshed 305-horse Ford Mustang V-6; the 274-horse Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T; the 2500-pound Mazda Miata, the benchmark for fun; and our front-drive champ, the twin-clutch VW GTI -- to crown the best driver's car, with stipulations that each start at around $25,000 and cash out below today's average transaction. Thus, the subsequent six machines boast average base and as-tested tickets of $24,640 and $28,523, respectively. Better yet, their statistical means -- 0-60 in 6.0 seconds, quarter mile in 14.7 seconds at 95.8 mph, 60-0 in 116 feet, and lateral acceleration of 0.93 g -- make this half-dozen comparable to a 1995 Porsche 911 Carrera 4. Whoa.

To set fast laps at the Streets of Willow Springs, we put hot-shoe Randy Pobst behind the wheel of each. And after the tires and brakes cooled, we evaluated the six on our demanding circuit in Malibu. When the dust settled, one two-door left us cleaning out our garage. - Ron Kiino

<HR>

6th: Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec
Deja vu all over again
By: Scott Mortara

It was an odd experience. I was reading my notes and those of my fellow comparison-test participants on the all-new 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T when I realized something: Everything I was reading, I'd read before. So I sifted through the scribbles from our 2010 Car of the Year program, as I was the one who did the write-up for the then-all-new 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. And, wouldn't you know it, the notes were almost identical -- even though they were written by different people and separated by more than two years. Then and now, multiple editors experienced troubles with the Hyundai's manualgearbox, specifically when trying to quickly downshift from third to second gear, while either aggressively motoring through a canyon or going full-tilt on the track. The shifter is vague and doesn't provide solid resistance between gates, causing many of our drivers to hang a gear.

And just like two years ago, our opinions of the exterior and interior styling were identical: The cabin doesn't match what the facade promises. "It's a shame Hyundai can't get anything better-looking and -feeling inside of its sharply styled Gen Coupe," said associate editor Nate Martinez. As in the original, ride quality was deemed tops in test (along with the Mustang), providing a smooth highway feel while still being rewarding when turning left and right.

" Peaky power delivery. it feels like there are severe induction restrictions as the boost builds. - Benson Kong
"
A big bright spot with the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T is the more powerful engine. When it debuted in 2010, the 2.0T was putting out a measly 210 hp and 233 lb-ft. Hyundai turned up the wick on the turbo engine, which now churns out 274horses and 275 lb-ft -- a welcome and needed improvement. But again, just like two years ago, with the newfound good comes some newfound not-so-good.

While we appreciate the added power, we have issues with how it's delivered. The 2.0-liter's extra torque means you don't have to downshift to pass, say, on the freeway, but there is annoying turbo lag below 2000 rpm. When you're out of boost, the car labors, and when the turbo comes on, it goes like gangbusters, making it tough to be smooth. Also not helping was the comparatively numb, non-linear steering. At least you can still fully defeat stability and traction control, though when the nannies are on, they're overly aggressive.

3.8 R-SpecAt $29,625 to start,...

read full caption

3.8 R-SpecAt $29,625 to start, the 348-hp V-6 3.8 R-Spec was too rich for this test, but its $2250 premium over the 2.0T nets a 0.41-second lap improvement (1:28.71). Pobst: "A more satisfying track experience than the 2.0T."

While the Hyundai finished in sixth place overall, Pobst placed it in fifth. "Way more controllable and sportier-feeling than the Mustang. Good high-speed car -- not a lot of body roll. And the shocks do a great job on the bumps, so the car is stable. From a driver's standpoint, the turbo gives it this surge of torque in the midrange. I said the other cars had good midrange? Nah. This car has the midrange when the boost comes up."

Hyundai has built a better Gen Coupe, but many of our initial quibbles about the car are still there, though less noticeable now. The exterior styling and ride quality are more than up to snuff, but the interior ambiance, drivetrain, and steering still need some fine-tuning.

<HR>

5th: Volkswagen GTI
The Practical (Fun) One
By: Nate Martinez

Meet the obvious oddball. Although its 2.0-liter turbo sends power to the wrong set of wheels (as assistant road test editor Carlos Lago quipped), and it's a figurative brick in a group of rolling wedges, with enough seats for a family of five, the Volkswagen had to be included, mostly for two reasons. First, it met our pricing criteria, and second -- and most important -- it's a blast to drive.

Our editors voted the GTI fifth, but on track Pobst had it sixth. “The harder I drove it, the worse I liked it."

On the Streets, the GTI drew praise as a great 8/10ths car. It performed best when not pressed to its physical limits. If thresholds were met or surpassed, an undefeatable traction control system intervened with an immediate brake intervention and cut to the throttle.

"The GTI is not a track car, stock," Pobst noted. "It's probably a great street car. I could feel the refinement and sense of quality in the car on my warm-up lap. Up to about 80 percent or so, this is a really sweet car to drive. But as I started to push it more and get a little more speed out of it, it understeered heavily."

Track days notwithstanding, the Volkswagen remains an excellent, sporty ride on the street. Drivers who require that their car have more than a tinge of practicality need look no further than the GTI. But when performance is paramount, they'd be well advised to keep looking.Next Page >>

<HR id=ctl00_ctl08_ctl00_hrOne class=hidden>

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|>>

Last edited by Space; 06-07-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Of the cars in the article I'd go with the Scion FR-S.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Of the cars in the article I'd go with the Scion FR-S.

I agree `Mike, but I'd loved to test drive them `all, before I'd purchase anyone of them...I am going to test drive the FR-S
when I get the chance & also want to test drive the Mustang with the V-6 six speed
To me they are all expensive, but the FR-S would be great in your area with the super roads you have 4-Sure
Thanks for your posts...I look forward to reading what our member's posts on the above cars

Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Below from Road & Track
A comparison Test & Which car drifts the best ?
Check'em `out ======================
Comparison Test
The "D" Factor

Which car drifts best? »
<~ Super Vid & Test (Loved `it )
Comparison Test
Mazda MX-5 Miata vs Subaru BRZ vs Hyundai Genesis Coupe

There’s fresh sheet metal in the bargain rear-drive spor... »

Above link has a Great Vid with Review...Which one do you thinks WINS ? I know, but `Taz won't let me tell `ya You have to click & experience the `fun first

Last edited by Space; 06-07-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM

R-Spec

But at the end of the day I can't fit in any of them !

Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Id take the Hyundai

Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

The way I see it, I bought my Monte for $20,000. I put around $8,000 into it. I CURRENTLY have a $28,000 coupe that will beat the brakes off of anything on that list. In about three more years, I will be converting my Monte to RWD. There is no appeal to any of those cars for me. I'll keep my $.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I want a black FR-S with a stick.
It just handles an rides great

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'm gonna stick with American Muscle!!!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 AM

...Thanks member's for your posts & comments. It proves/shows the diversity of our former membership 4-Sure That's what makes the MCF the best automotive forum on the World Wide `Web THANK YOU!!!!!