Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

2006 MC SS Manual Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Default RE: 2006 MC SS Manual Shifting

in my opinion, no matter where you have the ****er, it shouldnt make much of a difference, even if you leave it in 1st, it doesnt mean that you cant go faster than 40mph or so, the transmission will just wait till the last possible moment to shift. you can still reach top speed with the car in 1, but it will still be in 3rd or 4th when you get there, just when you let off the engine will downshift as soon as possible, which isnt necesary most time.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 PM

I can offer an idea if you want to try it BUT, it is at your own risk. I know it's not good on the transmission and it may cuase problems. If you time this just right and practice it should "trick"your transmissioninto extendingthe shift points a little so you can leave the transmission in "D" and get optimum power out of each gear.If, whenthe transmission is just about to shift you slightlylet off the gas, maybe about half way, and then slam on the gas as hard as you can you should see theRPM's peg to 6000 or more before it shifts. Carefull though, I have hadit go past 7000 once and it just kept going. That being said this was in a chevy pick-up. I have been trying to do this in my 06Monte with limited success. I have no cluehow or why this works, I just know that it probably isn't good on any part of thevehicle.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 AM

LoneStarSS,
The Monte has a rev limiter so you will not be able to hit 7000 no matter how hard you try.
The Stock rev limiter is set to 6000 if not below.
You can raise your rev limiter but you need to change your rockers and springs first, cuz the stock ones won't hold up.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM

Alright we seem to be getting conflicted here...lets clear things up a bit. with an automatic transmission you will never be able to outperform the pcm for shifting...u may shift at different points which could slightly improve your track times, but with the increased time it takes to manually shift gears your times will b the similar or actually slower. if you want your tranny to shift gears at different points then take it to your local dyno shop or purchase a tuner and do it yourself but i would not suggest screwing with the shift speed, this is a quick path to a new tranny

one more thing...what i have learned from tuning my car is that the pcm has different shift points depending on the percentage throttle u apply...the more throttle the higher the shift point and therefor actually chages the shift points for you

Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM

well i dont downshift doing 80 i apply brakes to slow down and ill also start from "D","3", and then if im compiong to stop down to 2 otherwise if on highway and i just had to slow down quick for little lower speed afterwhile whens its clear to speed up again ill go back from 3rd to "d".. just was saying that at high speeds slowing down with a car meant for speed it would be nice to have better brakes to handle whatever it needs to handle with when slowing down at the higher speeds and im not talking about 80 (or 120 plus) to 0 just like 80(or 120 plus) and down to like whatever u need to make sure u aint gonna ram into the back of the car that decided to move over into ur lane ... i just have to get used to the fact every car/truck i had before was a standard so downshifting was my norm.. just dont wanna need new brakes very yr with my monte..

also do u still gas it upshifting?