Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Shifting/Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Default Shifting/Engine problems

I have about a million problems with my car, but two are particularly puzzling. Just some background:

The battery is old and will be replaced soon
The oxygen sensors are going bad, and I just got the replacements in the mail
The front driver-side wheel bearing is going out
I found the above three problems when I took it in to get serviced when the check engine light came on (and the transmission had been shifting late/slipping, so I thought the two were related). The shop said that the O2 sensor is causing the light, and that the other two problems are just there.
I have an LS

- Now that that's clear, I'm hearing a noise when I'm at Interstate speeds, and it's varying with my RPMs, not my speed. It's a whirring noise that sounds like an electric motor, not so much like grinding. As long as I stay below about 65 I don't hear it, but once I get on the interstate at about 75 - 80, I hear the noise at about 1,500 RPMs, and it gets louder and higher-pitched as the RPMs go up to the 3k - 4k range. I should also add that once I reach those speeds, it comes in slowly; so, once I reach 80, I can put it at 3k and I barely hear anything, but if I rev the engine a few times, I'll hear it loud and clear, and it will be there until I stop next. My transmission problems mentioned above make me think that these two issues might be related.

- One other problem I'm having is that the cruise control is shutting off by itself. If I'm coasting down a hill and my speed gets to about 4 or 5mph above what the cruise is set at, then it just turns off.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Default RE: Shifting/Engine problems

Have your alt checked out.

It may be the cause for the other electrical problems your having including your trans.

My wifes truck pulled this on me a while back and I could not for the life of me figure out what the heck was going on until the alt finally took it's last breath.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:41 AM

Update: I just changed the battery. The old one checked out just fine, so I don't think that there was anything wrong with it. That being said, it was a 6-year-old battery, so I'm sure it didn't hurt to replace it.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: montejass

Have your alt checked out.

It may be the cause for the other electrical problems your having including your trans.
How would it be causing the noise?

Old 06-20-2006, 01:48 AM

the bearings in the alt could be going uot or maybe the brushes causing a voltage drop that will make our cars go haywire

Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 PM

i drove an old truck that had the same trans problem... turns out it was low on trans fluid. have you checked yours? dosent hurt.