PRIVATE For Sale/Trade Classifieds This is for active members of the forum. Spammers will be deleted and banned! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

ZZP Aluminum Trans Pan NEW, Don Rome Rear STB mounts, and some Spectre Couplers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Ok, thanks. Let me think about it. One thing I don't like about the aluminum pan is that the factory magnet will no longer stick to the bottom of the pan. I do like the drain plug though.

Wayne

Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by 70monte1
Ok, thanks. Let me think about it. One thing I don't like about the aluminum pan is that the factory magnet will no longer stick to the bottom of the pan. I do like the drain plug though.

Wayne
Sounds good! Just shoot me an offer if you decide you want it.

(If I were going to use it, I'd JBweld a magnet of similar size compared to oem, in the pan. J-B Weld's website says "Like metal, J-B WELD can be formed, drilled, ground, tapped, machined, filled, sanded, and painted. It stays pliable for about 30 minutes after mixing, sets in 4-6 hours, and cures fully in 15-24 hours. It's water-proof; petroleum-, chemical-, and acid-resistent; resists shock, vibration, and extreme temperature fluctuations, and withstands temperatures up to 500° F. J-B WELD is super strong, non-toxic, and safe to use. Before it sets, you can clean up with soap and water." I think it would hold up to trans fluid, but that's just me.)

Or a Magnetic Drain Plug would be a safe alternative. It uses a very common size plug so it would be easy to find one of those I bet.

Thanks,
Justin

Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 PM

Ok, sounds good. I wouldn't know what to offer as you are the only one who knows what you have to have for it. For now, it sounds like $150 is it. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow. I might not get to respond until the afternoon after work. Thanks again.

Wayne

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 AM

Hi,
I've decided to pass on the pan. I still need to buy too many Xmas gifts to be buying myself anything right now. I also only have about 9,000 miles on my fluid change so it would be awhile before I need to drop the pan. Thanks again.

Wayne

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is $150 your lowest price on the pan? Thanks
To say how MUCH this is teasing me, ZZP had this one sale Black Friday for $150 + SHIPPING!! Considering this is still a BRAND new pan, you cannot beat this deal!

Does this pan use the stock bolts and factory reusable pan gasket?
I'm fairly certain the trans pan gasket is NOT intended to be re-used. They are typically a rubber gasket (sometimes with a metallic core). The rubber will eventually begin cracking. And considering ever trans filter I ever bought included a gasket, I'm fairly certain it's a good/safe practice to replace. I change my trans fluid every 100,000 miles, and by that time, the factory gasket on the first change is starting to seep a little trans fluid due to aging of the gasket.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
To say how MUCH this is teasing me, ZZP had this one sale Black Friday for $150 + SHIPPING!! Considering this is still a BRAND new pan, you cannot beat this deal!

I'm fairly certain the trans pan gasket is NOT intended to be re-used. They are typically a rubber gasket (sometimes with a metallic core). The rubber will eventually begin cracking. And considering ever trans filter I ever bought included a gasket, I'm fairly certain it's a good/safe practice to replace. I change my trans fluid every 100,000 miles, and by that time, the factory gasket on the first change is starting to seep a little trans fluid due to aging of the gasket.
Thanks for the bump!

I also switched out my gasket when I did a pan drop and filter change, didn't look to be in the best of shape after 11 years. I think there are some out there that claim to be re-usable but I'd still change it out just to be safe.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM

The pan gasket on the 4T65E is re-usable. Do some research. It is mentioned many times on many forums all over the internet. My original gasket was in excellent shape at around 90,000 miles and I re-used it when I changed the fluid and filter. The gasket had no cracks anywhere on it. I now have 99,000 miles on the car with no signs of leakage.

Wayne

Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM

10 Year Member

Wayne, I will agree to disagree on the subject. I checked the shop book and it does not explicitly say to use a new gasket nor does it say to use the old one.

I personally will not advocate re-using a gasket that the manufacturer does not explicitly define as "re-usable", it just does not sound wise to me (especially when the filter typically comes with a new gasket). Not to mention, my experience is the rubber on the gasket shows signs of "age" when it comes off.

Again, not saying your wrong, just I don't feel comfortable with that method for my fleet.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Wayne, I will agree to disagree on the subject. I checked the shop book and it does not explicitly say to use a new gasket nor does it say to use the old one.

I personally will not advocate re-using a gasket that the manufacturer does not explicitly define as "re-usable", it just does not sound wise to me (especially when the filter typically comes with a new gasket). Not to mention, my experience is the rubber on the gasket shows signs of "age" when it comes off.

Again, not saying your wrong, just I don't feel comfortable with that method for my fleet.
FYI, the GM gaskets are infinitely reusable. The gaskets that the aftermarket kits come with SUCK. The GM gasket has metal sleeves to keep your from overtightenting it and compressing it to far. The crappy aftermarket gaskets squish out with 1oz too much torque.

I WILL personally advocate reusing the gasket. If you look at factory service information it clearly states that it is to be reused.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
I WILL personally advocate reusing the gasket. If you look at factory service information it clearly states that it is to be reused.
I know about the metal core/sleeve. Since they are rubber coated, I have trouble trusting worn rubber after 100,000 miles for another go.

Now, since my last post, I did check sites, like GMPartsDirect and RockAuto, none mentioned the AC Delco gasket being re-usable (or at least that I saw). But I did see Rock does sell one that is noted as being re-usable. So it's clear the concept of a re-usable trans pan gasket does exist.

I also checked the shop manual procedure for my '04 Monte on changing the trans filter (since it involves dropping the pan). Please note, this is the GM Shop manual NOT a Haynes or Chiltons. No where in that section of the shop book did it clearly state that the gasket was or was not re-usable.

Again, not saying it is or is not. I agree the factory gasket is better then the the ones that come with the filters in the respect they keep form, on my '02 Grand Am GT it has guide pins, and it definately looks a little "beefier" then the ones that come with the filter. But, I have also been using those aftermarket cork and rubber gaskets for years without issue (other then by the time I have to fluid/filter change again, they MIGHT start to seep a little fluid, but that's not an issue since it's at a change interval).

I'm just stating what I am and am not comfortable with re-using that gasket in my practice with my cars. It's obvious some people here have re-used the factory gasket without issue.