Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Oh God, window tint is one of those things I'd rather just pay a professional to do, and they have the correct environment to work with tint. The cost to have a professional do it is completely worth it IMO. Just the whole idea of messing with tint inside a cramped interior is horrifying, especially the rear window. If you don't have an area to work in that's clean you're likely to get so much lint and crap between the tint and glass. So many chances to completely screw up.

Mine was $130 for the 06 Monte but that was after the guy gave me back my $25 deposit because they didn't get to my car on time and finished late. The 03 Monte cost me $150 back in 2006.
Matt have you ever been pulled over for the tint?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Matt have you ever been pulled over for the tint?
Haha I was just talking to Devin about this the other day.

Yes, in the seven years I've had tint on my cars I've been pulled over four times total for it; three times in the 03 which resulted in three citations, and once in the 06 which I just got a warning for. The three times in the 03 was by two county sheriff (Oakland and Washtenaw) and one state trooper, and the one time in the 06 was an Ann Arbor police officer.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Definitely a pain. I took the Monte in to get the rear window done and did the others myself. It's much easier if you just take out the two front windows instead of trying to do them inside the car.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM

Haha I was just talking to Devin about this the other day.

Yes, in the seven years I've had tint on my cars I've been pulled over four times total for it; three times in the 03 which resulted in three citations, and once in the 06 which I just got a warning for. The three times in the 03 was by two county sheriff (Oakland and Washtenaw) and one state trooper, and the one time in the 06 was an Ann Arbor police officer.
I've got 20% on the front and 5% on the back windows. I've gotten warned on plenty occasions, but have yet to get any citations (knock on wood). The only problem is that since my car is white and the tint is so dark, it is a freakin cop magnet.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by coolfonz
I've got 20% on the front and 5% on the back windows. I've gotten warned on plenty occasions, but have yet to get any citations (knock on wood). The only problem is that since my car is white and the tint is so dark, it is a freakin cop magnet.
Mine's 18% all around, and it's dark, but even on the black car it looks limo sometimes.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM

I did my own tints, but have been practicing this for many years. If your doing the back window I hope you have a sheet wide enough for the thing. You will have to dry shrink the back for sure. Use baby powder to allow the tint to move. Look up some videos on youtube. I also suggest take out the rear deck before you move inside and have another person to help you put it in the car. You don't want to waste your hard work shrinking to fit and wreck the tint placing it in the car by letting it crease or drop it against a seat and get lint all over it.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yeah I've watched a few dozen videos on youtube, and i definitely will have to shrink the back.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Mine's 18% all around, and it's dark, but even on the black car it looks limo sometimes.
That sucks too, because cops will use that as a reason to pull you over. Every time I get pulled over I get a warning. One cop told me he wasn't going to write a citation because his tints on his own vehicle is just as dark, so he didn't want to be hypocritical, but warned me that others will use it against me.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I got mine done by the pros. I did 35% (IL leagal tint for front side windows) on back and front side windows, didn't have to do my quarter windows. I had an 06 Mini Cooper S and that would be an easy car to tint the windows on.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM

oh boy, i hope you have the patience of a saint. i tried tinting my windows on my 98 s10 and i gave up halfway through the first window. called around and got all 5 windows done for $100 with a lifetime warranty..but that was also in the ghetto of Newark the monte is being tinted very soon

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Window Tint