Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Water In Door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Water In Door?

So now I'm getting water inside the door when it rains like it did today all day. I read another post on here about some "holes" that are plugged in the bottom of the door? When I opened the door and laid underneath it all I can see is a piece of molding/weather stripping about 1" wide with some plastic "rivets" that are inserted into the door. When I pulled on that molding/weather stripping the rivets popped out of some holes and the water came gushing out. I don't see any other holes though? Are those the holes that are plugged? If it is they are plugged with plastic rivets.

Can I just leave that molding/weather stripping off on the very bottom of the door? Is it important to have that there? Should I just drill some other holes behind that molding/weather stripping?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 PM

In an emergency when my door first filled up with water, I drilled a whole at the very far end of the door and parked the car on an incline, allowing all the water to drain out. It's not a bad idea.

You should remove the weather stripping, make sure all the rivet holes are unclogged (use toothpicks), and finally, check the "slot" at the very far end of the door (towards the rear wheels) for any clogging. That slot is where the water normally drains from because allllll the water goes to that lowest point on the door.

I would keep the weather stripping in there. After unclogging all the holes, it hasn't been a problem for me since. I even have window guards that might create a little separation between the weather seal and glass.

Hoped this helped!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
In an emergency when my door first filled up with water, I drilled a whole at the very far end of the door and parked the car on an incline, allowing all the water to drain out. It's not a bad idea.

You should remove the weather stripping, make sure all the rivet holes are unclogged (use toothpicks), and finally, check the "slot" at the very far end of the door (towards the rear wheels) for any clogging. That slot is where the water normally drains from because allllll the water goes to that lowest point on the door.

I would keep the weather stripping in there. After unclogging all the holes, it hasn't been a problem for me since. I even have window guards that might create a little separation between the weather seal and glass.

Hoped this helped!
Yes that gives me a course of action. I'll look for the "slot" in the rear of the door. I didn't notice it the first time but I'm thinking that might be plugged. Thanks man.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There's also a slot on the bottom of the door towards the hinges.

They are small slots, not so much holes, hidden behind the weather-stripping.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member

Well I think I got it I pulled off the molding/weatherstripping on the bottom of the door and towards the back of the door there is a vertical "slit" about a ½" long. I ran a long nail up through that and it pushed a bunch of debris out of the way and some fell out so I took the door panel off and sure enough there was a couple screws in that corner, some leaves, some dirt, some misc. metal debris and other gunk. I took a vacuum and taped a straw to the crevice nozzle and was able to get most of it I think to where it won't cause a problem in the future.

This door was sitting at an LKQ for God knows how long. I had a dent in my other door so I swapped it out and it never occurred to me that there would be debris in the door OR that there was any channels for the water to drain.

Thanks again guys.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 AM

15 Year Member

If you get nasty pollen in your area, keep an eye on those slots.

Glad we could help!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the post! It saved me from searching the internet for two hours for a solution!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to do it once a year it seems.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM

15 Year Member

You can probably drill out the hole a little larger if it clogs too often.