Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Vinyl Ground FX instead of pant

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

maaco im sure would do it real cheap, and sounds like its what they specialize in, taping off and painting, lol

Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

No maacos around here..Id rather paint it myself anyway.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Well, if anybody can come up with a good site and decent prices, Ill be the guine pig. never thought of this and I think its a great idea, at least a great idea to give it a try??

Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

These guys have 2' x 5' sheets for 25 bucks. Too bad the longest choice is 5 feet. Not a bad price though.

http://instylegraphics.com/index.asp?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Well, I got in touch with a girl on ebay who sells 24" by 10' rolls in sets of two so that should make 4 rolls that are ten feet long and 12" wide whitch will be just enough. Im gonna give this a try, not saying its gonna be permenent, but im giving it the go. Getting it in silver like Ive been wanting for the GE's. Its a 7 year garuntee and its flexible and 3mm thick so it should be able to handle any rocks thrown at even though I dont EVER go down gravel roads. So, Ill let you all know how this works out for me, I just need somone to help me with somthing, what would be the best way to sand down the ground effect so its good and smooth for a clean application?? I reall dont have too much knowledge when it comes to sanding cause ive always just used whatever there was laying around with the electric sander. But I wanna do this right so it sticks good. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Well, I got in touch with a girl on ebay who sells 24" by 10' rolls in sets of two so that should make 4 rolls that are ten feet long and 12" wide whitch will be just enough. Im gonna give this a try, not saying its gonna be permenent, but im giving it the go. Getting it in silver like Ive been wanting for the GE's. Its a 7 year garuntee and its flexible and 3mm thick so it should be able to handle any rocks thrown at even though I dont EVER go down gravel roads. So, Ill let you all know how this works out for me, I just need somone to help me with somthing, what would be the best way to sand down the ground effect so its good and smooth for a clean application?? I reall dont have too much knowledge when it comes to sanding cause ive always just used whatever there was laying around with the electric sander. But I wanna do this right so it sticks good. Thanks.
i think your best bet would be to clean the painted surface with rubbing alcohol and apply it straight to the paint, i think if you sanded it down, it would be a hard surface to adhere to either way.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

if you're serious about doing this which I believe is crazy (nuts), I am not at all against vinyl wrapped on a car but the vinyl you are looking at is graphic / lettering vinyl...all of my vinyl has held up well even the lower stuff on the side quarters but to put in on the ground effects I see problems, you will need help and heat to stretch the stuff! be sure to clean the surface with a cleanser on the body..a non abrasive kitchen cleaner with pumis such as "bon ami" this will clean the surface and poars, then follow with a clean rag and alcohol swiping in one direction to leave the surface clean. I'd paint

Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Paint seems better too..

Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Yeah, Im going with the paint now. Only because of the color of paint Im getting. Gonna be a real bright silver. But what do you guys suggest I use to sand the plastic so its smooth?? Really all I need to know is what grit in what order. Thanks. Gonna do it right this time. Also, if it do (again IF I DO) it right this time, how long do you estimate it lasting??

Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member

for painting you really dont need to sand all the way down, you just need to scuff the surface, so the sandpaper doesnt have to have a whole ton of grit.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Ground FX instead of pant