Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005
Default touch up paint

First of all i know very little about exterior paint, that being said its time to get my car touched up. The hood has a few chips in the paint and i am going to have to get a new passenger fender painted as well as possible my side mirrors(if even possible). I have a 2005 monte lt with the silver matallic paint that i love love LOVE but i understand it is a little more expensive to get so i was just wondering if any one could just give me a rough estimate as to how much it would be to A. get the hood touched up(only 3 or 4 small chips) B. get the new fender painted and C. is it even possible to paint the side mirrors and what would and estimate price be. thanks guys

Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Well with the chips u can either go to wal mart and get a touch up pen that matches your color, or you can go to a collision repair shop and get a small bottle that they will match nto your color. And for the rest, you could get an estimate while ur at the collision shop

Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 PM

i got a bottle at the dealer for 12 bucks. its your exact paint match.

be carefull, chips are easy just take out the orange thing on the inside and dab with a pen. looks great.

ok now i had a scratch on the trunk and teid to fix that. it doesnt look bad cause the paint matches but its too thick. i talked to a guy later on and he told me to take a matchbook, the cardboard part.

ok so apply a tinsy amount on the problomatic area and smooth with a frayed matchbook. idk if it works cause i never tried it.

theres videos on the web where they put the paint on the car, cover it with aluminum foil, and use a lighter. its crazy but it seems light it works great. youtube it

Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM

wow they charged you 12 bucks for touch up paint..
we have lots of people come in for quick touch ups and we charge 0. $5 worth of touch up paint and 10 mins of time could result in a $5000+ job if that customer ever gets in an accident and remembers our shop...try some shops in your area for touch up paint, stay away from dealerships, they give nothing for free.

heres a tip: get a book of matches (the cardboard ones) and rip one out, then use the torn end to touch up the chips. dont load it up with paint tho, just a lil bit on the tip and dab it on the chip. let the paint wick down into the chip

your fender alone would cost around 300-500 to paint.... much more if a blend into the door is required. due to the strip down of the handels.

mirrors which are raw plastic black can easily be sprayed and would cost around 200 for the pair

mind you in located in canada and prices will be diff somewhat.

Last edited by Nuffy; 03-19-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 PM

your saying 5 dollars for the paint pen/brush??? or to actually fix the chips.

i got a duplicolor one for that price at walmart and was scarred to use it.

the one i got from the dealer is GM, they matched it to my vin. black lol

thanks for clarifying the match tip technique.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Do you want just the fender painted or are you worried about it matching the door and the hood? If you want it blended into the door and hood, then hold off on the touch up paint and just have them spray some base coat over them when the do the hood. It should cost very much more at all to spray a little basecoat over the chips. They will already be spraying base/clear on the hood anyway to blend it. If you are planning on just painting the fender and hoping that it matches, then you can just get some of the basecoat that they use to paint the fender and use it to touch up the chips.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mak330
your saying 5 dollars for the paint pen/brush??? or to actually fix the chips.

i got a duplicolor one for that price at walmart and was scarred to use it.

the one i got from the dealer is GM, they matched it to my vin. black lol

thanks for clarifying the match tip technique.
All black is pretty much universal.