Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Tinted Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 AM

I agree it look great. But it sucks for a DD or a car that is going to be driven at night. I have driven a car with tint on all windows and it was like broad daylight outside; but when you got in the car and closed the door it was like day light! It was amazing. Nonetheless I would never put tint on my front windshield.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:03 PM

20% all the way around on my black monte it's really nice and cool no problems seeing at night! I am contemplating windshield tint my buddy got his windows 35% and 50% windshield on his Acura TL he says he loves it.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a Cavalier Z24 5 spd that came with 20% tints one the sides and 5% on the back with a 20% strip of tint from the top of the windshield 3" wide. That was for the sun being in your eyes. The problem I had was on dark unfamiliar side streets. Making a left or right turn in the dark I was not able to see the curb and scratched the stock rim. And thus had to open the windows any time I was going around a corner. On my BMW 325is I had the driver and passenger door windows tinted to 35% and the back to 5% .I was able to see at night and it looked great during the day! To each his own, but personally I think if you fully tint your windshield and your not doing a need car camercial you're asking for heartache!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:06 PM

You will most likely have problems in the cities with a tinted windshield. I had dark tint on my previous car and was pulled over numerous times in and around the twin cities. If its not your daily driver I think you could skate by but otherwise im sure you will get a ticket if not a few. Tinting all the other windows will make it look darker anyhow.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Boy I can't imagine having windshield tinted lol I would have to have license and registration and insurance in hand.my Monte windows are tinted really dark and I don't get any hassle

Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM

Not messing with it lol

Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I had my front windshield tinted from day 1 when I bought it along with all the other mods... system ,alarm, body kit etc....

Heres a few pics,
It also has a 8 inch limo eye brow (legal is 4")lol all the rears are Limo and the side windows are 35%.. I believe the front is tint 90%.. Which is dbl what the stock factory tint is... in the 3rd pic you can see the eye brow...

Believe it or not I have no vision issues day or night time. No reflective glare from on coming traffic or from the dash lights.

As dark as it looks..its an illusion... It looks darker than it actually is because of the rest of the windows being tinted as well.
I think it looks pretty darn good IMO.

2nd

3rd this is one of Matts picks from our last meet. (That's me on the left side of the picnic table)

Attached Thumbnails Tinted Windshields-wp_000338.jpg   Tinted Windshields-wp_000611.jpg   Tinted Windshields-dsc_8709.jpg  

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-08-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM

I get really confused with the %'s for the tinting. Is the "lower the number (%), the darker the tint" or is it the "higher the number (%), the darker the tint"? I'd like to get mine tinted but don't know what % number to ask for. I want the side windows darker than factory but not so dark a person looking in can still tell a person is driving. I'm not sure what's actually legal in most states but I don't want them dark enough to even have to worry about that.
I'm not sure why people want them so dark. What do they have to hide?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Generally the lower the number, the darker the tint. Legal tint varies from state to state, so you'd have to do some searching. IMO 35% is dark enough to look good but still light enough to see at night and not be bothered by police, i haven't so far anyway.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 AM

Interesting. I actually just checked the laws for my state. KY says that 35% of light must get through the driver's window and 18% for the rears and back. I work in OH though and their law say 50% for the driver's window and it doesn't matter for the rest. Looks like 50% would be all I could go. I'd like them to match so I guess I'd do that all the way around. Is 50% still worth doing? I mean will it make much difference?

Quick Reply: Tinted Windshields