Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Tint Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Default Tint Removal?

Does anybody know how to remove window tint safe and easy?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

razor blade to get it started peeling. then slowly remove all the tint (try not to rip it you want to get it off in 1 piece if possible) After you have it off there will be glue left over. Get some glass cleaner and a razor blade and scrape the glue off. then get a piece of steel wool and go over the window with that and some glass cleaner until it is all the way gone.

P.S. dont use a razor blade in the back window. you will ruin your defroster. Use steel wool on the back window. it will take awhile...i hate doing back windows

i think that is about it

Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
razor blade to get it started peeling. then slowly remove all the tint (try not to rip it you want to get it off in 1 piece if possible) After you have it off there will be glue left over. Get some glass cleaner and a razor blade and scrape the glue off. then get a piece of steel wool and go over the window with that and some glass cleaner until it is all the way gone.

P.S. dont use a razor blade in the back window. you will ruin your defroster. Use steel wool on the back window. it will take awhile...i hate doing back windows

i think that is about it
This is exactly what I did when I had to remove my tint after the cops caught me for too dark tint. Silly cops.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM

I used to do this quite a bit at a shop I worked at. If the tint is pretty new/fresh- or is a pretty thick film, then you may get lucky and get it off in one piece- otherwise, it is going to come off in 100's of pieces most likely.

For all windows except the back, just use a straight razor blade, and keep scraping. We had a special mixture at the shop (you can buy stripper online)- but the times I've done it at home, I just get a bottle of cheap window cleaner with ammonia- and it cuts through the glue pretty well. Only nice thing about the commercial grade stuff is it did a better job of dissolving the glue under the tint that was still applied- making it much easier to peel off; but it smelled even worse than cheap window cleaner with ammonia does.

On the back window, I still use a razor blade- especially if its coming off in a billion tiny pieces- just made sure you aren't hitting the defrost lines. I use the razor on the back window more just to lift the edges to peel it off, rather than scraping it off with the razor blade like I do on the side windows. Then, once all the tint is off- I go over it with a regular kitchen SOS pad with the cleaner and get all the glue off. Never tried steel wool before personally- I just like the SOS pads because they do a decent job at holding the gunk that comes off- so you can just cut them up, and toss the squares as they load up with gunk. I usually just pick up a pack of the cheap ones at the dollar store when I get the cleaner.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member

Thank You everyone

Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've heard you can use 409 and a black trash bag

Search Google for "easiest way to remove tint"