Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

remove bumpers/ground effects

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM
1 Year Member
Default remove bumpers/ground effects

I am looking to add the pace car bumpers and I will be going to some auto salvage yards soon to look for the parts. I was wondering if anybody could explain or give me a link to show me how to remove the front and back bumpers as well as the side skirts or whatever you call them. Also if you have any tips for installing them on to my car with out damaging them that would be great.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The only difference in the High Sport bumper covers (which is what the Pace Cars use) is an additional ground fx piece that attaches on top of the original molded ground effect. To add those pieces requires adding slots to the bumper cover and I believe retaining clips (I have not done it, but others have).

I have not taken a front bumper cover off a Monte before, but it looks easy and is probably the same concept as other recent GM cars I've messed with. The fender skirts I believe are held with 7mm or 8mm screws, just remove the ones attached to the fender/quarter panel/underside of the bumper cover (no need to pull the skirts out).
The front bumper will have some plastic body push-pins under the hood and then some 10mm bolts holding it to the fender (removing the headlights or going in from a detached fender skirt can work, tight spacing though).
The rear has plastic body push pins under the trunk lid and under the cover. It also have a couple 10mm nuts that you need to remove holding it from the rear quarters, you get to those from inside the trunk.

Like anything else, if it don't come off, wiggle the part and find where it's stuck. I may have missed something but that's a quick over view to get started.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 PM
1 Year Member
Default How To Remove Bumpers?

Im removing my bumpers and have figured out how to get the front bumper off and most of the rear bumper. Ive unscrewed the screws connected to the wheel well and removed the clips on the top and bottom using a tool I had to go out and buy. My one last problem is the screws connected to the fender. I got the first two removed by pulling down the trunk fabric but there is at least a 3rd if not 4th screw behind the wheel well thats not accessible from the trunk. Anybody know how to access those and remove them?

Old 05-04-2014, 01:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I looked at the shop book. Looks like there is a bolt on both rear quarters you will need to access from behind the rear wheel well skirt.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:15 AM
1 Year Member

i figured thats what I had to do but I couldnt quite remove the wheel well. I'm not exactly sure what all it is connected to. I unscrewed it from the bumpers and pulled the clip out of the bottom but I think it is connected to something at the top and I dont know how to disconnect it. Where did you see this shop book?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:31 PM
1 Year Member

Just wanted to post for anyone doing something similar and say that I did find out how to get the last screw to remove the rear bumper from the quarter panel. I used a jack and raised the area up to see 2 screws that were holding the wheel well on and removed them. That let me remove the wheel well and access the last screw holding the bumper on.