Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Rear Wheel Drive build thread, It is happening..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:43 AM

An "SS" with an LS grille? (scratches head...)

Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 PM

Commeting for later. I got here late to the party and I am interested to see this.

Someone did a CTS a while back and put it on youtube.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:31 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well guys, I haven't been here much lately, but I do have some good news to pass along. Just this week the shop ordered my 6 speed G-Force transmission with built in oiler - ALL our research over the last several months came up empty on an automatic that can handle the potential power I will put out and still be drive-able and reliable on the street. Lenko and Liberty were out as well as Sun Coast so I decided on the manual and even at that I am almost at the limit of the trans. The block went out for machining a little while ago and the shop's owner has some pictures to post soon. Either he will or he will show me how. Or as I have in the past maybe Greg (Zippy02) might help too if I ask him and I am sure he will. At least I know things are going in the right direction now. That's the latest. Maybe Greg will read this and stop in the shop and take a few pictures of his own to post. That's about all I know at this time. And of course if I get more info - I will surely post for all to read. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE AND THE BEST IN 2017 TO ALL - Sam

Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the update! Very excited to see this beast come together!

Have you talked to Greg? (Zippy) I have tried along with other members with no luck. I tried email, calling, text, etc. We are all kinda worried about him...

Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
15 Year Member

I just noticed something that 96z34man posted and I am not sure if that is in reference to the LS I have as a donor car. Not sure if I posted this earlier but I have all the SS mouldings, grille, front and rear bumpers , rocker panel mouldings, SS badges, and the SS steering wheel. Every piece of plastic and moulding that comes on a SS. The only way you will be able to tell my car body was an LS is by the VIN number no other way. It will be a completely stock looking factory SS once all the body upgrades are made. I even have stock SS wheels left over from my first car but I will not be using them - I choose to use Forgeline wheels one of their styles that looks very close to stock.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 PM
15 Year Member

No I have not talked to Greg lately - I have his cell - I can call him or I can call the shop because he is very friendly with them. . When I catch a break from work - I will call and inquire how he is doing and if I find out anything I will of course post it here for all to know.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I appreciate that. I sent that shop a email asking if they have heard from him etc but they ignored my email as well. Hopefully you can get some news for us and I really hope it's good news.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 PM
15 Year Member

Here's a bit of news I should mention - I got involved with the M1 concourse in Pontiac Michigan through my son's father in law and participated in the Woodward (the track/street was not the best) drag race (1/8 mile) the day before the dream cruise. Well I put my 11" slicks on and went at it. Well I quickly found out that 11" slicks are not big enough and when the green light came on I did about an 1/8 mile burnout before it hooked up almost at the end of the track. Bellowed smoke all over and just about completely filled the stands with smoke. Didn't win the race but I made the front page of the Detroit Free Press the following morning. It's on their website also. Friday August 19th, 2016 With the power I have I will have to use my 13" slicks and really lower the air pressure and continue to adjust my coil overs to bear down on the front end. To say the least I don't have much traction on street concrete. My slicks are drag radials and the manufacturers recommended air pressure is 18# and that is a farce - Zero and I mean Zero traction. I ran them a 18# and it was a waste of time. I should have taken them down to 12# but I didn't and I learned. More posts later. Sam

Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sam
Please let us know anything you can find out about Greg (Zippy02) It has been almost a year since I have heard from him and Maria.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM

Someone linked here in another thread. Glad I clicked on it since I hadn't seen the new updates. Good to see the build is getting ready to start. I hope you get a chance to post some progress pics when they start cutting the car up.

A few questions:
-What kind of fuel are you going to run?
-How much power are you shooting for?
-On a little more technical note, how do they plan to connect the uni body to the new frame?

Originally Posted by Monte SSV
Just this week the shop ordered my 6 speed G-Force transmission with built in oiler - ALL our research over the last several months came up empty on an automatic that can handle the potential power I will put out and still be drive-able and reliable on the street.
Isn't that G force 6 speed just a built t56? Certainly a good trans, but depending on your power level, usage, and weight that could really be pushing the limits for reliability.

I do find it odd that there wasn't an auto available to hold the power. Usually it seems to be the other way around- people swap in an auto because they're having a hard time keeping the manual together. If you really wanted an auto, there are some pretty huge power setups on a turbo 400 or a 4l80, you don't think one of those wouldve worked? Heck, I think there are even 4l60/65s in the 8s (not that I'd ever suggest something like that for a build like this).

I would suggest reconsidering wheel size. I don't know what kind of power you're going to make, but that bottom end should be good for 1000+ whp. You're going to have a really hard time hooking that up on that big of a wheel, even on drag radials. At a minimum I'd think about doing a 17" in the rear or even a 15" if you're serious about putting the power down.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-07-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Rear Wheel Drive build thread, It is happening..