Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Push button start

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo I plan on installing a push button start latter on this summer. I was wondering if anyone has installed one of these or may know of someone has. If so how hard was the install and how well does it work. Also I would like to see some pics. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know of anybody that has done that on these cars, but I do know that the passlock system can be a HUGE pain in the butt to work with. So I would be cautious when adding this to your vehicle. Same with remote starts.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM

There have been a couple Impala guys that have done this. But it doesn't make much sense because you still have to put the keys in the ignition and turn the key in the forward position and then push the button.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Its not worth it to put in i done it on my 06 Sierra & the pass lock wont allow u to start the vehicle unless u put the key in turn it all the way till ur about to start the vehicle than u can use the button otherwise the pass lock will shut the engine off in a few seconds

Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 AM

When i bought my 02 monte ss, it came with a viper alarm with remote start installed by the previous owner. I can turn my car from a distance and it doesnt turn off by itself? to turn it off i simply push the button on the remote or, wen i get in the car, simply tap the brake.to make the car run, i just insert my the key into the ignition and put it in the start position and go.never had no problems with that.

also, idk why but, my ignition lets me take out my key regardless if the car is on. idk what was the purpose of that but yea, in my monte its possible.lol. in other words, i can turn on my car, take out the key and drive around with no key in the ignition lol

Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02montecSS
also, idk why but, my ignition lets me take out my key regardless if the car is on. idk what was the purpose of that but yea, in my monte its possible.lol. in other words, i can turn on my car, take out the key and drive around with no key in the ignition lol
Try a different key. But the actual cylinder might be ruined. It's not a good thing if you can do that lol

Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I don't know of anybody that has done that on these cars, but I do know that the passlock system can be a HUGE pain in the butt to work with. So I would be cautious when adding this to your vehicle. Same with remote starts.
I put a remote start on my wife's '05 Impala (same basic setup). It required a bypass module.... The key for the car is NOT a "chipped" key (I can get perfect, cheap, non-chipped copies made at the hard ware store that work fine). But, the bypass module is used to emulate what the lock cylinder feeds the BCM when you have the correct key installed. I believe their are two types of bypass modules, one that auto learns and the other that you have to jack around with using a volt meter to get some information to set the dip switches.

My GUESS would be a push button start install would have to be similiar to a remote start. You will probably need a bypass module (which does not come with the remote start, it's sold seperately). Heck, perhaps you could modify a remote start to do the job (I know the one I installed does NOT fully initialize all the systems in the car, so there would be more to it for your needs).

If you were to ask me, because of the security systems embedded in the car, it sounds like a huge pain in the butt with little to no gain (unless this was for a show car). You run a large risk of if this goes bad, having a problem with a daily driver and having to re-assemble it to factory to diagnose and repair.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:37 AM

i say go for it as i plan to put one in my car i just ant found the one that will go with the alarm i have now witch has remote start so we can already start the car with out the key and the push button is so cool

Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Its an old thread - cool!

The only reason I'd want push button start would be if it used one of those proximity keys that you don't have to take out of your pocket, but it would need to be present for the push button to work. Do they have an aftermarket system/product like that yet?