Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

possibly painting ground effects

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks! yes this will help immensely! (Have it bookmarked)

Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
For bumpers and side skirts, is sanding needed? And do you just get OEM paint from GM or autozone or anything?

Why didnt you stick with the plasti dip muf?
I'm not sticking with plasti dip mainly because I really don't like a matte finish. And on top of that it's kind of sticky. It's not slick like paint and clear coat it. So even though it can be washed it is kind of a pain to clean because dirt tends to stick to it. I more so did this as a test to see if I would like the painted ground effects. This was never meant to be permanent. But I do like it, so I would like to make it permanent.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Oh i see, interesting, And I didnt like painting my emblems with it. I gotta go over those before it gets too cold...Are you going to try to paint with them on the car or off? Be better if its off lol.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Oh i see, interesting, And I didnt like painting my emblems with it. I gotta go over those before it gets too cold...Are you going to try to paint with them on the car or off? Be better if its off lol.
Yea, I will pull all my ground effects off lol. With plasti dip you can just rub it off which is why I did it with them on the car for that. But there is no way I would use actual paint to paint them while they are on the car lol.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Default Plasi

There is a glossifier plastidip that u spray over the matte paint to give it the clear coat look.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly I would just take the ground effects off and take it in to a body shop and tell them what color you want them instead of messing with it on your own. Their quality should far exceed what you can do from a rattle can or trying to paint for the first time on your own.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Honestly I would just take the ground effects off and take it in to a body shop and tell them what color you want them instead of messing with it on your own. Their quality should far exceed what you can do from a rattle can or trying to paint for the first time on your own.
I gotta go with this, as much as I like working on my own car.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

With proper prep you can do anything a body shop could do it home, it is just going to take longer.

Easiest way to do it would be, go buy a cheap gun, get a nice base/clear set of paint, all of the hardeners etc. Make sure where you are painting is CLEAN. There are tons of how tos on the internet.

With spray paint, I promise you it won't last as long, it will take a lot of good coats of it to get it to where you want it.

And as far as the cheap gun goes, it will orange peel, but it is nothing that wet sanding and buffing won't take out.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Enzo354
With proper prep you can do anything a body shop could do it home, it is just going to take longer.

Easiest way to do it would be, go buy a cheap gun, get a nice base/clear set of paint, all of the hardeners etc. Make sure where you are painting is CLEAN. There are tons of how tos on the internet.

With spray paint, I promise you it won't last as long, it will take a lot of good coats of it to get it to where you want it.

And as far as the cheap gun goes, it will orange peel, but it is nothing that wet sanding and buffing won't take out.
yeah I understand that. I have everything I would need from toners to guns but honestly I am far too picky about my car and if one thing was wrong i would have to do it all over again. The chances of someone that does it everyday gets it right the first try is much better than a do it yourselfer and thats enough motivation for me to take it somewhere to have done

Old 11-28-2013, 12:42 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

yeah I understand that. I have everything I would need from toners to guns but honestly I am far too picky about my car and if one thing was wrong i would have to do it all over again. The chances of someone that does it everyday gets it right the first try is much better than a do it yourselfer and thats enough motivation for me to take it somewhere to have done
I'm a big fan of doing everything I possibly can by myself. Of course someone who does it for a living will be good at it, but what is the fun in that? Everything I know today I learned by trial and error.

Quick Reply: possibly painting ground effects