Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

possibly painting ground effects

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
1 Year Member
Default possibly painting ground effects

Hey everyone. So about 2-3 weeks ago I painted my ground effects with plasti dip. I did it kind of to just test and see if I liked the 2 tone look. Now that I know I would like it I'm thinking about painting them myself at some point. As anyone done any painting on a car before? I've done my engine cover which turned out pretty good. Is it something that you really need a gun for? Or could I use rattle cans? I know I will probably get a lot of orange peel with rattle cans, but couldn't I just wet sand and then buff it out to get rid of all that? I like to do all my work myself when possible, not only for that warm fuzzy feeling when you do something right and it makes your car better, but also that nice feeling of saving money lol. Thanks for any help

Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, using a gun always makes for a better finished product in my opinion. I purchased a cheap gun from the pawn shop that I prefer to use whenever I can. The paint itself is what makes for a shinier, cleaner finish. I would use a paint gun for anything exterior.
However, with proper preparation and application, you should be able to get a good finish with rattle cans.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can use a rattle can if you prep and clear properly.

Actually you can have really great results.

This front bumper is rattle canned..

Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Have a question. I want to re-paint my side ground effects on the Deuce this winter (same color) I see the grey clips under the car to remove them but am not sure how they unfasten. Any help here guys?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:49 AM

For bumpers and side skirts, is sanding needed? And do you just get OEM paint from GM or autozone or anything?

Why didnt you stick with the plasti dip muf?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Have a question. I want to re-paint my side ground effects on the Deuce this winter (same color) I see the grey clips under the car to remove them but am not sure how they unfasten. Any help here guys?
There should be an open end and a closed end, you'd have to pull to the side that is closed.

They're really just like pins

Originally Posted by Hiroska
For bumpers and side skirts, is sanding needed? And do you just get OEM paint from GM or autozone or anything?

Why didnt you stick with the plasti dip muf?
I would scuff the surface at the very least.

You can get OEM matched rattle cans at the store, but it probably won't match perfectly.

He probably didn't stick with plastidip because it begins to fade and look rough if used on a daily driver.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Iv tried this but it didn't work. Mine are kind of beat up and missing some clips I think... whoever owned it before me must have been short and never saw curbs

Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Spray gun with rattle paint. k gotcha, and im assuming atleast sand it down first? I remember when someone else here painted their bumper..Man i need friends with a garage

Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Thank you Mitch!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
This may help you.... https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sixth-generation-monte-carlos-39/how-install-ss-gfx-high-sport-trim-oem-ground-effects-44109/

This is the original side of the car before the GFX install

The first thing that is done is to put several layers of masking tape on the rocker below the Monte Carlo emblem. This is to protect the paint as you push up and release the original plastic lower rocker.

You also want to put several layers of masking tape on the front fender ahaed of the door. You won't need to protect the door since it will be open as you work.

You will need to use a flat bladed screwdriver to release the clips that hold the rocker to the car. These are located under the car. As you release the clip, pull the rocker toward you so that they release. There are 8 of these on each side of the car.

The Rocker off the car

Once you release the gray clips on the bottom of the rocker, open the door, and start at the back of the car, and pull the rocker out from the bottom while pushing up on it. This will release the clips that are behind the rocker. This takes some force to get the first couple to release. But once the first one does the rest come out easy. With the rocker off, remove the clips that will be left in the car. You get all new ones in the kit so don’t worry about the ones that break.

Here are the new clips that will be used to install the Side GFX.

Quick Reply: possibly painting ground effects