Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painting my engine cover :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
thanks frank! and i know that before paint was from the previous ownerr. and i bought some touch up paints at a autozone that i heard were very heat resistant and i hand painted the whole thing. time consuming. but i say it was worth it!
the touch up paint thats a pen and brush together?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
the touch up paint thats a pen and brush together?
yesyes!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM

thanks frank! and i know that before paint was from the previous ownerr. and i bought some touch up paints at a autozone that i heard were very heat resistant and i hand painted the whole thing. time consuming. but i say it was worth it!
You must have a REALLY steady hand! It looks great - did you mask it off at all or just paint it freehand? I have some red Duplicolor touch-up paint I'd like to try on my doorsill lettering but I'm not sure I can stay in the letters. Any hints?

Old 07-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was going to say use touch up for lettering. Thats what I did. If you use metallic paint, keep it wet and light, you'd have to get pretty close to see brush strokes. Multiple coats and make sure the previous coat is totally dry before applying another coat. Full strokes like your painting your nails (!!why the hell would I know about that!!).

Old pic:

Last edited by JuniorCar; 07-02-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:36 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

yesyes!
Haha I'll have to buy me one in galaxy silver then

Originally Posted by Possum
You must have a REALLY steady hand! It looks great - did you mask it off at all or just paint it freehand? I have some red Duplicolor touch-up paint I'd like to try on my doorsill lettering but I'm not sure I can stay in the letters. Any hints?
Thanks man
Well I obviously masked it off, I spray painted it lol
Did I see the first page of the thread?

Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I was going to say use touch up for lettering. Thats what I did. If you use metallic paint, keep it wet and light, you'd have to get pretty close to see brush strokes. Multiple coats and make sure the previous coat is totally dry before applying another coat. Full strokes like your painting your nails (!!why the hell would I know about that!!).

Old pic:
Geez u did all that with touch up paint? Even the black lines with the white stroke?
Hmmm ur nails ay?
:lmao:

Ur engine cover looks EXCELLENT Btw

Old 07-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
Geez u did all that with touch up paint? Even the black lines with the white stroke?
Hmmm ur nails ay?
:lmao:

Ur engine cover looks EXCELLENT Btw
The stripes were done with 1/4 inch white pinstriping, then 1/8 inch black stripe on top. Then clear coat to seal it. My hand isn't that steady, but no masking was used for the gold...

Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
The stripes were done with 1/4 inch white pinstriping, then 1/8 inch black stripe on top. Then clear coat to seal it. My hand isn't that steady, but no masking was used for the gold...
Pretty smart and u did a hell of a good job

Old 07-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Possum
THANKS! and i didnt mask it at all! did it all freehand! it takes alot of time and the headaches were worth it in my opinion ahaha. hmm and the doors thats pretty tough. id say you really take the time and mask around it and you just really take your time when painting them. is it the "Monte Carlo" youre painting or the "Supercharged"?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 AM

It's the "Monte Carlo" raised black letters on the doorsills. I'm going to try it today if it stops raining. I'll keep you posted!

Quick Reply: Painting my engine cover :)