Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

paint wont stick wherever i touch

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member
Default paint wont stick wherever i touch

Hey all, awhile back i had a hell of a time painting my center console and now just tackled my engine mounts and cover. In that i discovered something odd. after cleaning a part thoroughly the paint wont stick wherever i physically touch it. I know the oils and such can hinder paint sticking but it literally doesn't matter how clean my hands are the point wont stick until i wipe it down. I know iv heard of cleaning it but iv never heard people say not to touch a surface your going to paint. Is this normal? or am I some kind of greasy freak of nature? lol. But just curious if anyone else had this problem.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As a matter of fact...
It is true that from the natural oils in your skin adhere to the part..
Thus preventing the paint from sticking.

So yes.... You are normal.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just out of curiosity, you sanded everything down first, right?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member

how about you wear latex gloves next time

Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What type of surface are you painting? Are you using an adhesive promoter? Is the surface scuffed up to help hold paint?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
What type of surface are you painting? Are you using an adhesive promoter? Is the surface scuffed up to help hold paint?
Haha yes. I'm an amature but not to that level. It happens when painting both metal and plastic. Im using the primer. If I touch the surface after I clean it the primer won't stick their, it kind just runs off in the shape of my finger print roughly. If I touch the primer after its dried the paint won't stick, same as before. The most recent was painting my engine cover. Iv never painted using an adhesion promoter. I always thought sanding and priming was all you needed.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ..Scar'lette..
Just out of curiosity, you sanded everything down first, right?
Yes josh! Haha cmon I'm not that slow! :P

Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a point of concern.... Not sure what your temps are where your painting your parts, but where I'm at, it's too cold to paint. It will have a LONG dry time and probably will not dry with the right finish.

Also, parts that may have been exposed to things like Armoral or wax may have issues with paint/primer adhesion as a result of that material still on them. I'm not a paint expert, but you can try some things like:
- Wash the parts with dish soap (it has degreasing agent that helps strip wax and Armoural like items away). A simple water wash will not do the trick.
- Sand the surfaces. There are adhesion promoters/primers that can work with glossy surfaces, but you are best doing some prep. The finer the grit of sand paper the better. I've used a Scotch bright pad in desperation with some plastic (as it does not mar it up or have potential for deep scratches). Scotchbright pads come in different "roughnesses" (though I don't think they ever tell you, but the color is normally a sign, red and green have been the best options).
- Name brand paints/primers. If you are having trouble with a can, it might be the brand. Not all paint/primer is formulated the same. I've used Dupli-Color, Rustoleum, Krylon and the generic ACE Hardware labels with no issues.

Best of luck.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Here's a point of concern.... Not sure what your temps are where your painting your parts, but where I'm at, it's too cold to paint. It will have a LONG dry time and probably will not dry with the right finish.

Also, parts that may have been exposed to things like Armoral or wax may have issues with paint/primer adhesion as a result of that material still on them. I'm not a paint expert, but you can try some things like:
- Wash the parts with dish soap (it has degreasing agent that helps strip wax and Armoural like items away). A simple water wash will not do the trick.
- Sand the surfaces. There are adhesion promoters/primers that can work with glossy surfaces, but you are best doing some prep. The finer the grit of sand paper the better. I've used a Scotch bright pad in desperation with some plastic (as it does not mar it up or have potential for deep scratches). Scotchbright pads come in different "roughnesses" (though I don't think they ever tell you, but the color is normally a sign, red and green have been the best options).
- Name brand paints/primers. If you are having trouble with a can, it might be the brand. Not all paint/primer is formulated the same. I've used Dupli-Color, Rustoleum, Krylon and the generic ACE Hardware labels with no issues.

Best of luck.
It was around 40 last night. But I had a small heater in the garage. I use a liquid organic cleaner/degreaser then wash the thing with warm water. I also use de-natured alchohal rarely on some stuborn stuck on adhesives. But everything is always rinsed off after words. Iv literally seen the paint stick in a place and accidentally touch their and It won't stick anymore. I'm using dupli-color engine enamel and I use krylon on my interior plastics. I might try an adhesion promoter when I paint my air box. Plastic is stuborn.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another thing to note (not saying you don't know this) but do not mix brands.

If you are using Krylon paint, use Krylon primer and Krylon clear coat.

If you use Dupli-Color, use all of their products too. Never mix and match

Quick Reply: paint wont stick wherever i touch