Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Outer Window Felts ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Outer Window Felts ...

How hard is it to change the outer window felt on the PASS side?

Discovered the car had sprung a leak the other day & I just narrowed it down to when I drip water directly down the front of the PASS window (by mirror), it passes right down through to where the speakers would be, splashes back up, & into the interior molding, carpet. Ugh.

I look "down" at it, & it does not look all that different from the DRIV side, which does NOT leak at all.

The window/door has not been recently apart.
It DOES go ALL the way up & down, & "torques" into place when it reaches its highest point (seals at the top).
Nothing has been played with, this is a brand new phenomenon over the past couple days, it did not even do this 10 days ago when I washed it.

I pulled the inside felt off to have a better look at the outer, but I cannot see what is holding it on ... the outside molding?

Double ugh ...

Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO there shouldn't be enough water accumulating in the bottom of the door for it to splash back up. Maybe the door drain is plugged and there's standing water in the bottom of the door? Pull the weather strip away from the door in the lower rear corner and check the drain hole. If it's plugged a stiff piece of wire ran back and forth through it a few times should clear it out.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As it is running down - the water - it is splashing off all the inner door things ... the sliders, the wires, cabling, etc ... spritzing right out the speaker hole like a sprinkler. I dump a quart of water on the front of the window, & a quart of water makes it down into the door. No way that should be happening. It should be channeling out ... out by the hinges, or back by the striker.

There is no standing water.

I took the mirror off, & stuck my finger in a couple places ... ... & I notice the inner felt just seem to end prematuraley, & it is clear that is where the water is running straight down like a sieve ... Hmmm, ...

Driver's side off tomorrow for comparison, & I will have to look at what is in the scrapyard ... Going for different car(s), but now have a reason to look up 6th gens.

I still just don't get it. It was fine the other day, now I have near-Niagar falls. Rubber rot? On THIS car? Ugh.

Jusdt disheartening ... cannot go ahead with the stereo install until I can be sure water is not going to consistently wash the backside of my components! Ahhh!!