Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opera window removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opera window removal

Any ideas on how to remove the opera window and frame from a 95 MC with out bending the frame? I removed the inside panles along the window area. Popped and removed the set climps. Still she wont budge. It seems there is a black tar like substance holding it in like a sealing agent or even glue. Do I just heat up the black substance for final removal? I have no room for error. This is for my Collector 1995 014 OPC.
Thanks for your help. Please only answers from those that know how to do it 100%. Like I said. No room for guessing or errors.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member

I decided with the rust on the window framing and on the trunk. I bought a junker. Blown head gasket. I'm piecing it out and selling it back to the yard. Funny how some things work. As I was pulling off the trunk lid, it got crooked. I fought it back and through a doubled up moving pad, The corner dropped ever so slightly on the bottom corner of the rear wind shield. After an hour of clean up and pulling the molding. I discovered a rust spot develpoing under were the seal was. Nothing dramatic now. In a year it could have been trouble. So now I'm replacing a trunk lid, 2 rear windows and framing. Grinding out the rust spot and repainting the whole roof and B pillars. Now I also have to replace the Indy decals. No luck so far finding them. Picture 1: is the 2decals that will need to be replaced. Picture 2: A look at the hole in the trunk lid. It's a little worse than it appears here. Pictuer 3: is the window framing I need to pull and replace

Attached Thumbnails Opera window removal-picture-120.jpg   Opera window removal-picture-056.jpg   Opera window removal-picture-121.jpg  
Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The black glue is window urethane. I believe that is all that holds in the window and frame. You could try heating it up and see if it loosens up at all. If not, you may have to cut the urethane from the inside. If you cant get a blade to the urethane, if you can get a piece of mechanics wire to poke through the urethane, you may be able to saw it back and forth the cut the urethane, but I dont know if that would work or not.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks Matt I will surely give that a try.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Default Framing

Turns out the rusted piece was just framing in a rubber gasket. To remove the piece using plastic capped tools! LOONG flat head screw driver Small pry bar. At the top towards the door, just force out the end cap and expose the end of the framing. Slide the pry bar on top and in to the gasket of the framing. with very little pressure push the framing out while forcing the screw driver into the framing long ways. Just follow this around slowly. I bent one a little and with some heat from the rear it flexed right back into place.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:06 PM

for once my criminal background comes in handy, when i was younger i liked to break into cars (explains my luck lately) and one of the easiest ways to do it was by removing the window. we would put a pocket knife through the urethane, in between the window and frame, then lightly turn the blade to lift the window, then making sure we had gloves on, we used even and very light force to slowly pull up the window VERY carefully. Once the windsheiled was off we did our thing, then put the window back and applied alot of force around the edges to help reseal it then replaced the weather stripping....

finaly my knowledge can be used for good, good luck man i cant wait to see your monte when its done