Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Need 9 more guys who want ws-6 hood.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 AM

ws-6 yes. cowl no idea. and venting ports probably not. keep it simple the more you the the more expensive it gets. I don't even know how a cowl works. Jeany will need to answer the questions. And yes VFN is the company.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
yeah but with a factory hood you don't have to pay a body guy to work on the fiberglass to make it fit correctly, or at least you don't have to do as much to it to make it fit correctly.
Making our hoods from the factory originals allows us to get the fit as close to factory as possible. Yes, there will be adjustments needed - as with any aftermarket hood - but when making a new item, we also test fit it before selling it to the public, allowing us to send instructions along with the bolt on hoods making installation as easy as possible.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
vfn is who you guys are going through?
We don't outsource. Everything is done right here at our location.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by davidk67
If this hood is functional, will their be some sort of channel to our airboxes or is this going to be an engine bay cooler?

Also, if this were to incorporate some venting ports either to the side or to the rear of the hood, I would be very interested.

Its impossible to commit to this project until we see definitive plans. You - or they - cannot expect 10 people to blindly go into a big purchase, and a cosmetic issue, without seeing a final plan and hope for the best 8-10 weeks down the line.
This I understand completely, and believe me, we don't want to take any orders until two things happen - A. I get the final thumbs up on this project and B. we have time to work on it - which will be mid to late summer.
To be honest, I probably won't have a definite thumbs up until sometime next month - we like to focus on what is most important at the current time, which right now is keeping our normal production orders on time, then start planning on a new project that someone is asking us to take on.

If they do give me the thumbs up for this project, we would work with you guys at that time to finalize the design and more then likely have some type of rendering to make sure that everyone is on the same page before taking any orders.

We're not a company that will take money and sit on it, allowing time to pass by and not being able to give our customers a product. We run a very honest operation, and find this works best on both ends - both ours and the customers. Don't like the pressure of taking orders and then having people wonder where their part is - regardless if we tell them 8-10 weeks or not, in most of our experiences, we get customers calling the next week, then the week after, then the week after...it's that squeeky wheel mentality...and although I understand that guys get pretty excited and plan their projects around what we tell them...unfortunately our production times are pretty firm. And we won't put ourselves or our customers in a bind until we know for sure that we can take the project and have it done in that time.

What I can suggest is to keep the thread going of course, and I'll keep checking back here.
Mr. Grizzly Mint, if you can please give me a holler around the middle of June as a reminder, I can see if I can get some definates on this for you guys ~
Don't mean to put you guys off till then, but I know that with our guys focus on the work out back, they won't give me a solid answer until then. ~ Lets them catch up a little. ~

As for vents or any additional frills to the hood, we can work all of that out at that time as well. Unfortunately don't have anything more then that...but I will tell you, that when I mentioned the cowl hood and showed him the pics, he was more interested in doing that then the WS6. ~ Just has to be a design that you guys can all agree on and that is feesable for us to do without getting to involved in making a mold that will run more then what we expect in mold costs. ~

Jeanie ~

Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JeanieK
but I will tell you, that when I mentioned the cowl hood and showed him the pics, he was more interested in doing that then the WS6. ~

Jeanie ~
hey grizzly i'm sorry i don't mean to butt in since im not part of the group buy, but i think you should make a poll and see which of the hood everybody prefer to have vfn make. i saw sw6 style hood on a 90 honda prelude today i was like "what the F......?"

Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM

yea that style can be bought for almost everything now. I see it on chevy trucks, a saturn sc2, impala, ect... Its just a really awesome hood design. I dont know anything about cowls befor I bought my monte I was a mopar guy so the scoops I know wont work here. Someone else who wants a custom hood needs to run things.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by nemesis
hey grizzly i'm sorry i don't mean to butt in since im not part of the group buy, but i think you should make a poll and see which of the hood everybody prefer to have vfn make. i saw sw6 style hood on a 90 honda prelude today i was like "what the F......?"
I was just thinking a poll would be the most appropriate way too. however, that poll would need to be set so that only the people who are interested in it - definitively so - are the ones making the selection, otherwise people who have no real interest can skew the result for the others.

another point - going cheaper isn't always in the best interest. You get what you pay for, and for people to make an investment of at least $500, spending an additional 100-200 to get the final product to have all the items that the majority of people want would be the way to go.

We who have a modded 6th gen, or those that are planning on it, would love to have some (but not over the top) additional head-room for the engine, some means of cooling the bay would be nice, and if this is a real ram-type for the airbox, channeling to our intakes that takes into account the sideways aspect to the intake.

Lastly, as others are mentioning, putting a firehawk sw6 hood intake on a monte just doesn't look right with the front end of the monte (as the pontiac tapers down into the front bumper cover area) but thats just my 2cents.

I know I would also like some sort of attachment point prebuilt in for quick-release hoods like the aerocatch hood pins:

Old 05-12-2012, 09:53 PM

a cowl has almost 0 chance of being functinal as a ram air it would need to run the length of the hood. it would give more space and provide engine bay cooling tho. the ws6 gives room because the ram air is in the front rest is built with extra room like a cowl and could give engine bay cooling if built that way.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM

David K ~ I like the idea of a poll as well ~
Unfortunately, we wouldn't make a hood with predrilled or impressions for hole placement on pins for a few reasons (sorry! ~) ~ Not everyone would want it or will go with this style pin (although they are nice), and the placement can vary depending on the car.
Also, our pin on hoods serve as a top side for our bolt on's. Most guys don't wish to use pins on a bolt on application unless they really need to for safety, which they'll be running 100+.

We do this on all of our hoods, exception is the 442's which originally came with the Lanyard pin setup, these guys have an impression to show where to drill out for the pins if the customer chooses to...The holes are simple to drill into the hood if needed, and find it best that our customers decide that for themselves.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:08 AM

If we go with a cowl it needs to have shape like this or nemisis. I dont like the straight cowls it needs to flow with the curves of our hood.

Quick Reply: Need 9 more guys who want ws-6 hood.