Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

My new-old 97 Z34- where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Default My new-old 97 Z34- where do I start?

I recently acquired my first MonteCarlo. It's a 97 Z34, and I am in love with it. My new obsession with the outside of the car clashes with my inexperience on how to take care of it.

Name:  bsjRGnc.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  205.3 KB

In this photo, are many of the issues that occur over the rest of the car in similar areas.

Name:  ejvrDcc.jpg
Size:  215.8 KB
Name:  EqDjqe9.jpg
Size:  220.5 KB

The wheels are chrome, but I don't know how to get rid of tough brake dust..

Name:  SaVRudr.jpg
Size:  206.2 KB
Yes, I was planning on taking that wax off lol.

Any ideas? Im thinkin I want to start with the type I waterspots using vinegar and water, then wash and clay the car. If there are still type II waterspots, I'll have to use some sort of gel or compound? I don't know.

I want to replace the chrome trim, but how? I plan on replacing the block letter emblems on both doors with chrome as well as chrome emblem replacements on the trunk panel.

Headlights are to be restored or replaced. Any recommendations?

How do I handle these wheel wells.. what should I do or expect?

Tips and advice needed!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres a cpl thing that I know will greatly improve your paint...

First off. I would recommend clay baring the whole car... You'll be really surprised at the results... It will basically take it right down to the original clear cote... It will also remove any staining (Especially the hard water marks etc) Just besure to keep the area your clay baring really wet.
Don't allow that area to dry out as your working on each area/section.

Next I would recommend getting a dual action buffer along with the necessary products and buffing wheels to really get the most out of your paint! I'm sure anything McGuires and there 3 step process should really improve the looks and shine of your Monte.. There are some really good videos on youtube to give you some pointers on do's and dont's when it comes to wheeling out your ride! We even have a a cpl members with detailing experience that will be able to give you some pointers/help when your ready to wheel it out.. Those minor scrapes/ scuffs etc.. will virtually disappear when you wheel it out!

I don't think theres a real "Cure" to brake dust removal or otherwise.. it just boils down to good old elbow grease...lol and up keep (maintenance).

For the wheel wells...

Obviously remove the wheels, But I use good old soap and water to clean them up as well as some grease remover etc.. to get the really stuck on stuff.. like road tar etc... Some may differ with me.. But I use tire shine to keep them looking there best.. and just be sure to wipe it smoothly and not over do it to where its dripping all over the place.. Then after that its pure maintenance...

I hope this helps!
I'm sure others will chime in with handy tips and ideas as well..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 03-13-2014 at 01:35 PM.