Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !

Hello guys, Just did one of the “MODS” I've been trying to do for awhile. Ive been looking for the EXACT make, model and most important, YEAR of the car. IVE FOUND IT !... I have finally found the side view mirrors I've been looking for. And THEY FIT almost like a glove. A little scrap off here and WHAM they fir on My Monte Carlo SS. I know they are red right now but will be painted Black to match the car, but before I put all the effort to paint them, first I needed to fit them as well as mod them a tad. The bottom needed a little trim here and there but not much at all and the bolt holes fit EXACTLY. I know many of you will hate it, but I want mine to be different and if you look at the Monte mirrors, they are just to plain, I wanted a little bit of style on mine, SO, I have been looking and these are the ones, they are from a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP ( I tried other years and cars and they wouldn't fit right, the angles just weren't right, or close enough to mod them to fit.) Well, Besides them being red as of now, what do you think? (I do however have to find the wire diagram for the electronics so they will be powered again, that’s NO big deal, I am adding a LED , just 3 LEDs, not 20..lol. To the light for a little detail.) I'm putting the lights BEHIND the inside of the mirror, you will NOT see the LEDs until they are turned on (turn signal) IF you look close at the mirror off the housing, you can see thru it a bit (ill post some pictures of it) and the LEDS show up behind it. Should be pretty cool making a triangle.. More pics to come…. MJC

Attached Thumbnails Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post45a.jpg   Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post46a.jpg   Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post42a.jpg   Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post43a.jpg   Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post44.jpg  

Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Default more pics

Just a couple more pics ( keep in mind these pics are just of the TEST fitting, not the finsihed product.) The finsihed mirror will be BLACK, same color as the car. with clearcoating as well... MJC....

Attached Thumbnails Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post50.jpg   Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post51.jpg   Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !-post52.jpg  
Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Congrats on the project. I think member Silverbullit tried to put Grand Prix mirrors on his Monte.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I think it looks cool.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I personally thought the original mirrors on the Monte fit nicely (and I still think they do). But your idea doesn't look bad. Looks like a clean fit and helps scratch the itch to make your Monte stand out!

When do you think you'll have them repainted? I like your idea to put some sort of LED lighting behind them (that's a cool custom idea)!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 AM

I actually did the 'Muth' style turn signals on my Impala... here's some shots of them

BBEngineer

Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

silverbullit did that a while ago with good results but decided to keep the monte mirrors because the connectors were different.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pa...-anyway-23173/

it should look good with that led arrow behind it, but i almost don't feel like the monte's should have an led arrow, that seems to be more of a luxurious thing, but i'm not really sure, maybe that's just me ha

Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Looks good and no matter if anyone else like it or not its your car.

Dont mean to thread jack eaither but how do you make the led shine through the mirror like that. I have been wanting to do it.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Ford Winstar mirror glass is extremely similar in size and shape to the 97-03 GP mirrors. The nice thing about this is the Winstar glass already has the signals built in and all you would have to do is find a set pull the glass and epoxy the glass from the Ford units into the GP's and wire and you'll be all set. I know there have been a couple guys in the GP community that have done this. Very clean way of doing things.

Unless you want to go the Muth mirror way or do what "Bill Boost" did with his Regal for turn signals atleast. Get those mirrors painted that would help them look better

Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The new mirrors didnt appear as aerodynamic as the Monte's. Yet the more I looked at them and imagined them black I appreciated more where your going with this mod. Nice customizing, not just something you can buy off the shelf and slap on. Good job!!

Quick Reply: Modded MIRRORS !! Finally they FIT !