Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Light covers/paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 AM

you can use the VHT one step process which will end up with a not-so-shiney finish, or you can get a body shop (or yourself) to spray some on transparent black on it then clear coat(solvent based),. with the new waterbourn system, the paint would now be called reduced black (8902 order number)

Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Just a thought, but have you considered the black headlight housings and the black LED tail lights instead?? That way you can keep your stock lights in case you ever want to change back or sell the car. It's more expensive up front, but could be beneficial in the long run cause you can sell the lights later on and most people/dealers don't like modified cars.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 PM

i used vht nightshades on the tails one can and you can still see them when the lights are on ( i didnt even use a whole can to do it but might finish the can then clear coat it) and i too am in TX and have had no problems at all

Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 PM

let me drop some input on this one for ya!

I HIGHLY recommend not painting the headlights. Even with light coats of nightshade the headlights will darken dramatically. Ive seen other cars that do it with HID's and the tint will cover up most of it. If you want black headlights, buy black housing headlights. They arnt too expensive (check ebay) and will save you a LOT of headache further down the road. As for the tail lights, heres a quick writeup I had saved.

After all my searching I came up with limited information leaving me to fend for myself, lol so I decided to make history and do a quick write up on the application, installation, preparation, emancipation proclimation of VHT Nite Shades. And for those who search for Night Shades boom this is now included in that search. N' Joy.

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 1-2 hours application. (A lot of downtime waiting for it to dry.) + 6 Hours for final dry.

Tools needed:
(2) Cans VHT Nite-Shade (summit racing)
** Note: 2 Cans are recommended so that you dont run out in mid project, however you may not need the 2nd can, the amount used varys per application. In situation, I used both to the last drop. I'd say play it safe for the extra $10. **
(1) 3m Scuff Pad (advance auto)
(1) Can Clear Coat (BIG_MIKE Suggests Duplicolor Truck/SUV Clear Coat, the generic crap I used started to fade in about a year, so apply generous coats and use quality stuff! Let me know if you've used anything you'd recommend for long lasting shine.) ... lol I sounded like a bad infomercial.
(1) Windex / Similar Product
(1) Microfiber (recommended but not mandatory)

Steps:
1) Remove parts to be blacked out.

2) Clean all parts with windex and microfiber.

3) Scuff with 3M Scuff pad to prep surface.

4) Wipe excess dust with microfiber.

5) Place 2-piece items side by side, (ie taillights, passenger side corners... etc.)

6) Spray even short bursts across both items as if they were one item to ensure even coating.

7) Wait until the Nite Shades becomes tacky and repeat until desired darkness is reached ( I used about 6, but coat thickness varies, so dont use that as a gauge.)

8) Upon completion of Nite Shades wait about 30 minutes for it to semi-dry, then begin to apply clear coat spray. *Note: When I applied the first coat, I lost most gloss of the nite shades, dont be discouraged, wait til tacky and apply again, repeat until shine is restored.*

9) Wait roughly 6 hours before putting parts back in their original place on vehicle.

10) Drool at your finished job and await mass compliments.

(sorry, no pics)

Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 PM

double post ****

Last edited by vita; 12-30-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

double post 2 seconds from each other lol. nite shade is garbage. even with clear coat, in the long run the clear coat will fade off and you get that rough surface on the lense.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 PM

Double post fixed.

All and All, you pay for what you get. If you buy an $8 can of tint, dont expect a $200 factory tint look.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

here's my black paint tails with clear coat. i had someone from grand prix club done it. btw if you get offend by the confederate license plate you need a history lesson.

Last edited by nemesis; 12-29-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

heres my truck taillights painted with tinted clear coat

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Flip is amazing but my tail lights werent in spectacular shape to begin with, so why spend $200 on them?? I ended up using half a can of vht on mine and clear as the write up above states. And *** long as I keep them waxes and buffed they will look like this for quite a good stretch of time lol, psh, garbage... coming from the guy with a vacuum intake LOL jk man

edit: i like the silverado tails

Quick Reply: Light covers/paint