Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

The Kit has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member

Ok so i took of the plastic and i found a few cracks and chips but like bumpin said it can be fixed.

Side skirts arent shown yet.

I feel the need to add that its just a test fit not permant and the headlight isnt really like that

the crack was on the right

Last edited by gothkid; 04-11-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 PM

Ok so i took of the plastic and i found a few cracks and chips but like bumpin said it can be fixed.
How serious are the cracks? Any pics of them?

If you do decide to install it yourself- I'd try and drive around with the front and rear on for a couple days before painting it- I developed a few more stress cracks after that (I'm betting its because I don't have it mounted solidly enough- I mean all the weight on mine is held up by just those 4 nuts in the fenderwells (well and that metal strip above them)- and then the front center has a tiny bit of support in the grille area.

Maybe if you could make a more solid support structure for it, you wouldn't have the extra stress cracking? I mean its not like its gonna fall off- I've had mine up to 100 mph, and even hit a curb and cracked the lower lip in half- and its still on, but I'm betting the part is extra stressed due to so little support (I'm sure you noticed how much stuff held the flimsy stock bumper on).

That brings me to another point- be EXTRA careful with that front lip. I didn't measure it- but I bet that front lip is 6" forward from normal on an LS bumper.

Pic of the carnage (I had already cleaned the joint up, re-fiberglassed it from the back and sanded off the retarded lettering:

Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member

[QUOTE=bumpin96monte;216654]How serious are the cracks? Any pics of them?

If you do decide to install it yourself- I'd try and drive around with the front and rear on for a couple days before painting it- I developed a few more stress cracks after that (I'm betting its because I don't have it mounted solidly enough- I mean all the weight on mine is held up by just those 4 nuts in the fenderwells (well and that metal strip above them)- and then the front center has a tiny bit of support in the grille area.
[QUOTE]

that right there makes me want it professionaly installed.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Hi kitty kitty

Last edited by gothkid; 04-12-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:28 AM

that right there makes me want it professionaly installed.
I hate to say it, but I bet they'll install it the same way (I've only seen 1 other kit in person, and his was done just like mine). Being that the new bumper comes so far out- you really can't use any of the factory mounting points other than the fenders and 2 clips in the grille. You'd have to fabricate some sort of structure for it to attach to-maybe some arms that bolt on to the metal bumper?

I guess it would be more solid too if you kept the factory foam, and trimmed it to fit. I could've swore I heard somebody on mymonte try doing that when they first came out. I spent about 3 minutes trying to trim it- and threw it in the garbage.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

i still got the foam on lol, i plan on getting some black chrome black mesh

Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Hell yeah dude. thats gonna look NICE!!! I wanna see how this looks on a red car. Good choice good luck.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 PM

yeah definitely keep this thread updated with the pics

Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member

Well the good news is a friend is gonna help me repair it.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Wait what? You received a body kit paid $950 for it and it has cracks before you even put it on. That company sounds like its junk. Call them tell them its cracked and make them a) pay for the repairs b) have you send it back they pay for shipping and send you a new kit or c) send it back they pay for shipping and refund your money and go to a different company. I would not ever ever accept paying $950 on a kit and it being cracked!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM

That is alot of money for a cracked kit, call them up and see what they have to say about it and what they can do to make you a happier customer.

Quick Reply: The Kit has arrived