Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

I Just Got some LED Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default I Just Got some LED Tail Lights

Hi Gang maybe someone here can help me. I just bought some used tail lights real nice looking. But I am a little hesitant to install them as they used. Is there some way I can check them before installing them. I noticed there was a set of LEDs on the side of the one light that has been knocked loose. I have a 12 volt power supply (is this a safe bet ?) I read on the housing to check the cruise control after installation. Will they screw-up my computer or my cruise ? Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated. Herman

Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Swapping the tail lights is quick and easy. I would test them on the car. But if you don't want to do it on the car, 12v and ground you can bench test them (just need the pin outs for them).

As for messing with things.... I am probably either the only or one of very few to run both aftermarket LED tails AND the aftermarket LED 3rd brake light. Yes, the factory brake light is LED, but I got a hold of an after market one and modded it (so it is a one off). By themselves (the 3rd brake light OR the tails), no issues. Run them both, suddenly my car had a traction control error and deactivated traction. If I recall, it had to do with a shared circuit from the rear lighting and the traction system (interesting enough, I think it was a grounding circuit). My father is better with component level electronics than I am. He took my factory 3rd brake light, stripped the circuit down and re-used the components on my aftermarket light. All good now.

Since you are just using the tails, you should be find. I believe they have a built in resistor to avoid any issues.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:48 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks Jason I wasn't sure if I should just plug them it . Seems like one of the LED sets has been knocked loose on the side Ill show a couple of pics so you know what I'm talking about. Ill try them in the car .they came with harnesses to plug them in easy. As long as I cant screw anything up I'll be happy. Herman

Old 04-29-2019, 10:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not knowing that style, of LED tail, I am unsure if you can get easy access to that LED side marker (my guess, probably not). But I agree, it does not look to be in the right spot.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 AM

I have the same ones.. Its not supposed to be like that. I could probably get a picture later on if you want.

If it were me tho, I would exchange them. Theyre not cheap and you shouldnt have to settle.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:20 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well I plugged them in and mounted them on the car .They seem to be working loose LED and all (maybe the car was in an accident that they came from and got knocked loose) I have to check to see if my cruise is still working if so I think I'm ahead with these they look great and I only paid 50. Bucks for them. Herman

Old 05-12-2019, 05:09 PM

I have the same type on mine the only thing I had to put on was a resister because of the hyper flash

Old 05-18-2019, 09:45 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte07
I have the same type on mine the only thing I had to put on was a resister because of the hyper flash
Hey monte07 what is this Hyper flash ? Is this something that happens when braking so I don't see it ? Herman

Old 05-21-2019, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Herman Munster
Hey monte07 what is this Hyper flash ? Is this something that happens when braking so I don't see it ? Herman
Hyperflashing is your blinker lights flash at a substantially faster rate when blinking. I have similar lights and did not experience this phenomena.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:17 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by O-Five
Hyperflashing is your blinker lights flash at a substantially faster rate when blinking. I have similar lights and did not experience this phenomena.
Thanks for the input I didn't notice my turn signals flashing any faster either. Thanks again Herman