Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

How to paint an engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No need to respond frank I saw the answer to my questions in those threads you posted. Thanks man!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Griffindor
Love the Chevy oil filler cap! Where did you get that and second I have the stock engine cover it doesn't have that extra stuff on the top like yours that looks like a mini intake manifold. So my question is since mine is a little flatter is it still gonna rub against the padding? Would it even be worth it to paint it then? I wanna paint it white but I have read where people warn about putting clear coat on white?
Lastly what kind of prep work needs to be done to the cover? Just clean it with car soap and make sure it's clean and then I can start spraying from the can? Then what wait for that to dry and clear it? Sounds easy enough.
I'm going to respond anyways lol
The oil cap you can find on ebay for $15~$26 just search for "ls1 billet oil cap" or something along those lines... You'll find them
Although on mine I had the Chevy decal overlay done at some decal kiosk at the mall haha
I'm assuming this is the cover you have??

If it was already on your monte then I don't see why you would have rubbing issues.... Mine only rubbed because it was an L26 engine cover and I had the L36 engine at the time but now I have the L26 engine and that's why I had to trim my current one because of it being an L36 cover
Before painting mine I scrubbed them down really good with a scotch pad and dish soap, works awesome and then basically follow the directions on the paint can that you're going to use