Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:12 AM

i was just about to buy a mpd hood, but i coudnt justify the price or a fiberglass hood. so now im looking at these scoops. i dont want to do fiberglass. it will eventually end breaking off. these are metal scoops.

http://www.airbagit.com/Hood_Scoops_...FQYfswodRXEZug

Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 AM

I had a functional Camaro SS style on my 2000. It had a plastic plenum that went to the air box, all I did was cut a hole in it. It looked awsome!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Try to either get a fiberglass hood if its a fiberglass scoop- or get a metal scoop for your stock metal hood. As said above, fiberglass and body filler on a steel hood will crack- I've seen a lot of people have that problem. Its just a big, flexible piece and fiberglass and steel don't flex the same way.

The bad thing is, your intake box is all the way on the drivers side, so you need a away to get the air coming in to turn right, come back to the front of the car, and into your airbox.

Obviously with the stock hood, you don't have room for tubing to do this. That is why most of the aftermarket 'ram air' hoods have the ducting for the air channel built into the hood's underside already- and just have an outlet hole by the airbox. Then the airbox has a hole cut in it (before the filter obviously) with a soft rubber gasket that seals the two holes together when you shut the hood.

Like this hood:

with a new air box cover:

that looks like this installed:

where the underside of the hood looks like this (note the hole for the airbox on the right, and you can see the depression of the scoop and the ducting):
I would settle for a hole above the open filter, can one be fiber glassed in?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 PM

Just remembered seeing this on mymonte- claims it was the only functional ram air 5th gen monte?

I would settle for a hole above the open filter, can one be fiber glassed in?
I'm confused what you're asking here. Fiberglassing on the stock metal hood is a bad idea. The hood above is just fiberglass with a fiberglass channel in it to direct air over to the airbox. You could have it just dump straight onto the filter if you wanted- you don't need the special airbox.