Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Default Hood Scoop

Hey guys im lookin to do the 6th gen ss monte hood scoop.

What is the best way to approch this?

Can i be/made functional?

Has anybody done it?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM

i'd definately like to see it when and if u do it, and i had an idea of doing an old skool style cowl induction type scoop, when was the last time u saw one of those on anything

Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM

somethin like this hood only updated, u dig

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...-Chevelle2.jpg

Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member

o yeah man that would be sweet

I saw this on cardomain and i really like it since usbody.com dosnt make the ram-air hood or my car anymore. This may be the route i wanna go.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That Monte was sold a few months ago. He used a plastic or fiberglass scoop though, and on a metal hood, the bonds where the scoop meet the hood will crack in a few years. The only way to have it perfect and remain that way is if you were to cut the scoop off a Camaro SS hood and weld it to yours. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM

ill be doing a 5in cowl on mine as soon as i get the injectors to finish my s/c setup. from the look of the test fit it should work

Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

hmm i know it can be done. when i get the money i'm getting a cowl hood done for my car by a friend on mine on the bonneville forum

Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Hey guys im lookin to do the 6th gen ss monte hood scoop.

What is the best way to approch this?
Try to either get a fiberglass hood if its a fiberglass scoop- or get a metal scoop for your stock metal hood. As said above, fiberglass and body filler on a steel hood will crack- I've seen a lot of people have that problem. Its just a big, flexible piece and fiberglass and steel don't flex the same way.

Can i be/made functional?
The bad thing is, your intake box is all the way on the drivers side, so you need a away to get the air coming in to turn right, come back to the front of the car, and into your airbox.

Obviously with the stock hood, you don't have room for tubing to do this. That is why most of the aftermarket 'ram air' hoods have the ducting for the air channel built into the hood's underside already- and just have an outlet hole by the airbox. Then the airbox has a hole cut in it (before the filter obviously) with a soft rubber gasket that seals the two holes together when you shut the hood.

Like this hood:

with a new air box cover:

that looks like this installed:

where the underside of the hood looks like this (note the hole for the airbox on the right, and you can see the depression of the scoop and the ducting):

Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 PM

i thought the 98-02 ss camaro hoods were fiberglass? if you want that scoop i believe the 79 z28 camaros is the same style. they bolt on and can be made functional from there no need to bond it to the hood. this guy wants a million dollars for his but im sure if you search for one youll find it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...Q5fAccessories

Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 AM

lemme know how those cowl mods work out for u guys, i'm thinkin they'll be pretty sweet if done right and give it a nice classic feel

Quick Reply: Hood Scoop